Chapter 64

Wednesday, August 20, 2015

The next day, everyone got up early to say goodbye to Rachel. Sam and her dads were going to take her to the airport. While in bed, Sam wrapped his arms around Rachel’s waist and hugged her tight.

“I don’t want you to leave.” He whined. She giggled slightly.

“I don’t either but I have to.”

“I know.” He sighed and finally let her go. He sat up and watched her as she made sure she had everything she needed packed up, and then went to get ready. He got up and pulled a shirt on and went in the kitchen to make breakfast. By the time he was done, everyone was up and Rachel was ready. They all talked as they ate, and as Sam and her dads took her things to the car, she said goodbye to Sam’s family. Everyone waved at her as they drove off. It was pretty quiet the drive there, the radio playing quietly. When they got there, Rachel grabbed her two bags, and wouldn’t let them get them for her. They were right on time, as people had already started to board. Standing by the gate, Rachel said goodbye to her dads, who walked a little ways off to give them a bit of privacy.

“I’m gonna miss you.” He said, hugging her.

“It’s only for two months.” She said, giggling.”We’ve already had this conversation.”

“I know.” He sighed.

“It’ll be just like when you were in High School and I want in New York.”

“But that sucked too.”

“Sam…”

“I know, I know. I’m being all clingy.” He said.

“No you’re not. I’ll be back before you know it.”

“Okay.” He said, and she wrapped her arms around his waist to hug him. He hugged her back tightly.

“And don’t worry. Nick and Glen will be there so it’s not like I’m alone.”

“True.” It was now time for her to board the plane.”Text or call me as soon as you get off the plane so I know you’re safe.” She chuckled.

“I will, Sammy. I love you.” She said.

“I love you too.” He kissed her on the lips. After a minute or so, he pulled away and let her go. She waved at him one final time and disappeared into the crowd of people. He sighed and walked over to where her dads were.

“You alright, son?” Hiram asked. Sam nodded.

“Yes sir.” He replied. Sam drove home, Hiram in the passenger seat and LeRoy in the back. He turned the radio down.

“Hey! That was my jam!” LeRoy joked. Sam laughed.

“I uh, I need to talk to you two about something.” He said.

“Of course. Is something wrong?”

“No, no, everything’s fine. I just wanted to ask you something, actually.” He said. Hiram looked at LeRoy in the rearview mirror.

“Ask us anything.” Hiram said.

“Well, you know I love Rachel more than anything in the world.”

“Um hm.”

“I bought a ring, yesterday.” He said.”And I wanted to ask you two for permission to marry her.”

“Oh my gosh! Finally!” LeRoy exclaimed. Sam raised an eyebrow. Hiram clapped his hands a couple of times.

“We’ve been waiting for this day for a while now.” He said. Sam laughed.”You oughta know our answer is yes, you can marry our daughter. We’re just as eager to plan a wedding as your mother is.” Sam laughed again.

“I don’t know why I was so nervous to ask. I’m more nervous to tell my mom that I bought a ring.” They laughed.

“You’re like a son to us, Sam, and we know how much you love Rachel, and how much she loves you. Anyone can tell how much you love each other, just by the way you look at each other, and the way you act when you’re together.” Sam smiled.

“Can we see the ring?” LeRoy asked. Sam nodded, and since they were at a red light, he reached into his pocket and took out the box and handed it to Hiram. He opened it.

“Wow.” He showed LeRoy.

“It’s gorgeous Sam! And you picked it out?”

“Yes sir, I did. We were at the mall yesterday because she wanted to go shopping, and we stopped by the jewelry store because she, my mom, and sisters wanted to look, and I saw it out the corner of my eyes. The girls, Kurt, and Blaine left in Rachel’s car, and I lied to my brother and told him I had to go to the bathroom, but I went back to that same store, and my dad went with me. I bought her necklace then too, mainly for her birthday, but also so I’d have an alibi as to why it took me so long.” They laughed.”You two, my dad, and Kurt are the only ones who know. I almost said ring last night when I said necklace and Kurt caught it, but thankfully no one else did.”

“Kurt pays attention.” LeRoy said.”He’s smart too.”

“Very. I have a feeling he’ll be the one doing all the planning.”