Chapter 1 - I Don't Crawl

Prince POV

Sunday's rain pitter pattered on the pyramid skycap as I laid on the chaise in the atrium and watched the grey day slowly disappear and slip into the darkness of night. The dense spring cloud cover dashed the possibility of seeing the moon glow only adding to the gloom that seemed to permeate through the walls of Paisley Park and my current life.

Once night officially arrived, shadows took over the halls signaling that it was time to make my evening meal and determine how to spend the rest of the night, usually reading, catching a game or sitting in my studio tinkering with my music.

There was a time when the buzz of conversations, laughter, and yes even tears, might echo off Paisley's walls but in recent months that chatter dwindled. I guess I'm not all that astonished, but I had hoped a few people in my circle might surprise me with support.

I tend to only see a few people these days, my physical therapist Marcus Robinson who frequently hangs around afterwards, my assistant Beverly Evans, Kirk Johnson head of Paisley Park security and my sister Tyka but her visits tend to coincide with the need for what we call cold, hard cash. I do get calls from some of my out of state friends, but they're usually wanting some career advice so I don't share much personal stuff.

Then there's Larry Graham. Once I decided to stop drinking the Jehovah Witness Kool Aid, Larry and Tina went MIA. I understand that it goes along with the faith, but I had hoped Larry and I transcended that with our love of music and funk.

Brought out of my daze, the buzzer at the gate sounded and I made my way to the front desk, dialed the gate number and said, "Yes?" "Hey P it's Ray, I thought I'd stop by, bring you some food and if you're up for it, eat with you and visit." A smile crossed my lips and I replied, "Absolutely, I'd love a visit!" After pressing the code, I made my way to the double doors and as soon as I saw Ray I opened the door for him. "Damn it's really raining cats and dogs out there." Ray said. "Here...let me use the restroom and I'll bring you back a bath towel so you can dry off. I'll be right back." I said.

Taking the elevator to the second floor, me and my cane...my constant companion, made our way to my suite. After washing my hands, I grabbed a bath towel for Ray and made my way back downstairs.

"Here's a towel and thanks for bringing me some fresh food, I was just about to warm something up." I said. "You're welcome. The weather has been so bad that no one has really been out so coming here was the perfect escape from the restaurant and from going home because the Mrs. took the kids to visit her mother."

"How you been feeling P?" Ray asked cautiously. "I'm ok I guess. Loneliness is bothering me a bit. Actually I can't believe I'm really sharing that, but I don't see many these days. People slipped off the radar now that I've been concentrating on my health. Liv calls regularly, but she's out in LA most of the time...and she's really been busy on work since I've temporarily succumbed to slowing life down. Tomorrow is to be nice though. Marcus is coming over for physical therapy in the morning and then I decided to head over to the Wreka Stow [I say with a chuckle] and see the best of the new and old that's out at the Electric Fetus." Ray replied, "Look I know this has to be hard. You've been on the go, go, go for so many years, take some time to breathe ya know. Take life as it comes for a change, don't feel like you have to make life happen." I nodded as we finished up his delicious black bean burger and fries he brought over.

After I walked Ray out, my bed was calling me. Ever since my surgery I've been sleeping more, that anesthesia really took a toll on me. I use to be able to stay up all night and now it's like I'm a normal person. No more Dracula hours. As I brushed my teeth in front of the bathroom mirror, I promised to push myself extra hard tomorrow with Marcus. I need to get back on track and get on with my life.