Chapter 59 - The End Is The Beginning

Allie's POV

There is no doubt about it, my father's death was truly an emancipation. It freed me from ever looking over my shoulder again...in fear...worry...in thinking I was never good enough to be loved.

The scars that remain from him have faded significantly. Sharing the many horrific stories with Pearl, and Prince, Mia and Morris helped immensely.

Pearl finally concluded that I do have many symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. At first I hated putting that label to it, but I realized...how could I not?

Yoga, clean eating and meditation have taken over my life to keep my anxiety at bay. Often Prince joins me for yoga and meditation, but many times he lies in wait for his stress reliever.

Working so diligently with Pearl, I came to some conclusions. I don't ever have to refer to 'him' as my father because he never behaved like one, he's just Paul to me now.

Absolutely no regrets follow me for not attending his funeral as it was best to leave things as they were, distant and detached, not only from him but my mother.

I sensed Prince felt the same way, although he'd never admit it. I know he'd support me no matter what I wanted to do but I could tell he was in no hurry to reconcile with my mother.

Prince was up late last night in the studio, so he was still sleeping. Sprawled out on the floor in the former dance studio / basketball court, I was decorating Adley's lantern. The new year brought many closures and releasing Adley in the same spot where I began to lose her, at The Arboretum, was our plan today.

Upon hearing some shuffling, I noticed Prince had entered still in his sleep pants and open robe and sipping a cup of coffee.

"Good morning dove." He greeted me while crouching down and wrapping his legs around me. Not soon after, he planted a kiss on my head and set his coffee next to him.

"You ready to do this today?" He asked lovingly while pulling my hair back to observe my creation.

"I am. Are you?"

After a slurp from his coffee, I felt him nod solemnly.

"I was thinking, if it's ok with you and you're up for it afterwards, let's go grab a bite someplace casual, quiet." He suggested.

"Sure."

"We can just see how it goes." He reassured.

"I think I'm done. Is there anything else you want me to add?" I asked as he took a closer look at my work.

"Would you mind if we added one more thing?" He asked sheepishly.

"No baby...anything."

He was hesitant trying to find the words and I felt like I knew what he was gonna ask so I just said it for him.

"I have an idea while you think."

He was still quiet.

"Why don't I put over here...something like, Play with your big brother Amiir?"

In that moment, Prince gave me the biggest hug from behind. "God I love you Allie. You know me so well."

Helping me up off the floor, we gave one another a big hug and then he picked up the lantern to carry it for me.

"Is it ok if I clean up these craft supplies later?"

With a grin, "You are the Mrs. of the house. You can clean that up whenever you'd like."

"Oh yeah...right." I laughed and he did too.

"I'll be right back." He ran upstairs to get dressed and I followed him because there isn't a better show to watch.