Chapter 2 - First PT Session

Alessandra's POV

I'm meeting with Marcus this morning about a patient that is transitioning to my care. I have a pretty full workload here, but this patient requires a home visit so he/she must be pretty bad off to need care from home. I'm always up for the challenge and hope that I can help this person as much as possible.

While I wait for Marcus to arrive, I think about what all I need to get done over at church this week. Wednesday night we're working on each child's First Communion banner. I think I packed the felt pieces in my bag, I should start to cut those out as I wait for him to arrive.

Just as I was rooting through my bag, Marcus startled me as he came through the door. He's the most muscular black man I've ever met, handsome, with a larger than life personality but the gentlest soul I know. He's one of the first people I met here after moving from Chicago. He and his girlfriend Mia took me under their wing, almost a pet project since I moved here. In many ways I'm grateful or I'd be spending a lot of time alone or even more with the church ladies which he gives me a hard time about.

"How you doing Allie? Sorry to keep you waiting, traffic was a bear and I ran through Jimmy Johns to get a quick sandwich. Have you had lunch, would you like half?"

"Thanks Marcus I'd be happy with a quarter I'm starved."

"Who gives a quarter? I don't have a knife and I had them cut it in half before I left so half you shall have." Chuckling he handed me the sandwich.

"I saw Mia at church, I bet she's happy to be back from her trip. I don't know how she travels this much...the flying, living out of hotels, eating out all the time, it must be hard."

"It is hard, but auditing is her life, she loves what she does, my little bean counter. I think the traveling is getting old though."

Marcus abruptly got up, grabbed a Styrofoam cup, poured half of his Coke into it and placed it in front of me. See this is the kind of guy I'd like to meet, but on a much smaller scale. I'm only 5' tall and Marcus must be 6' 3". I want someone closer to my height, but I'm 35 I can't afford to be picky anymore, at least that's what my entire family thinks and tells me at every opportunity. Anyway, Marcus is just a giver, he's kind and treats women so lovely. Mia is a lucky girl for sure.

"Let's get down to business. This patient I'm transitioning to you means a lot to me because we've become really good friends."

"Awe Marcus you know I give all my patients the very best care."

"He had a double hip replacement with nerve damage repair. His full recovery will take approximately a year, but he should be fully functional at 60 days with some restrictions for high impact activities until the year checkup. He's 45 years old with a great personality and many say is quite handsome."

"Really Marcus...is this Love Connection because why should I have to know about his personality or whether he's handsome?" I laughed, but Marcus didn't crack a smile.

"Seriously Allie, this patient requires great discretion."

"Ok, well are you going to tell me his name?"

"Nope. I think I'll just let you be surprised. His name is not on the file for confidentiality so I put Peter Bravestrong. You'll see him in his home on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays and you'll do physical therapy first and a massage at the end of each session. I've put together the exercise routines that we've been doing each day and you should feel free to augment the exercises based upon his progress. Do you have any questions?" Looking at the exercises, I shook my head no. "Great...the address is in the file."

Sliding his chair back quickly, he squeezed my shoulders and said, "See you Wednesday night at church?"

"You bet!"