21.

Omniscient

"Antiere, you gotta calm down, nigga" One of his old friends told him. "You gone get yourself in trouble"

"Nah, I just want to know where my girlfriend is. Her mother don't need to be stressing. She works hard enough. I might need a favor on hold though" Antiere tied his laces.

"Anything, bruh. We got you"

"I appreciate it"

"Yeah, we know. Don't you find yourself behind bars again"

"You slick tryna throw shade?" Antiere questioned.

"Since when is telling the truth throwing shade?"

"That emphasis you put on it was shady. Real shady"

"Nigga, whatever. Just don't try no extravagant shit. Stay lowkey and keep ya eyes open. Don't blink, bitch"

"Fuck you, bruh"

"Fuck me? You don't even fuck yo girl"

"And new topic, cause we not finna be up in my business"

Nadir was more than just a fuck anyways, and when it happened, she would be sure to know that.

Antiere's phone rang in his back pocket, and he answered it without checking the called ID.

"Hello?"

"Nadir's in jail three counties over" Chance spoke into the phone.

"Where is that? I'm not even in the state right now"

Antiere was in the state above them.

"So our prime suspect is on the run? How suspicious"

"Nah, I had to see about something. If anything, you should be worried about yo nigga Pharoah, cause he ain't really your friend forreal" Antiere nodded his head.

"So why are you in rehab again?" Chance asked. "On a different note. You ever kill somebody?"

"I'm not in rehab for killing anybody"

"I didn't ask you that"

"You won't specific-"

"Bye" Chance hung up his phone.

Antiere laughed and turned to his friend. "Imma see you around"

-

Nadir sat on the hood of Chance's car while both her mother and Chance stared at her.

"Public intoxication. A danger to yourself and others" Faris mumbled.

"How did you even get out here? This too damn far, Nadir"

"I don't remember"

"Do you not care about what happens to you? Anybody could've taken advantage of you, Nadir. You're lucky those drugs were prescription, or you could've caught an actual charge. Who the fuck prescribed those to you? I'm not asking you, either" Faris stated.

Nadir shook her head, refusing to give up any information.

"You dropped out of school, and I tried to support that, but you're not even working towards getting your GED" Faris sighed frustratedly and cleared her throat. "So you just want to be a drug addict for the rest of your life?"

A drug addict.

Nadir could feel the words sinking in.

A forced acceptance of the title.

Antiere got out of his car, and walked over to where they were all gathered.

Nadir looked in his direction, and they locked eyes before she looked away.

He slipped inbetween Chance and Faris and gave Nadir a hug, rocking her from side to side.

"Baby" He kissed up from her shoulder to her ear. "Give me the word"

The say-so that Pharoah had done something to her.

His thumb rubbed against her bruised cheek and Nadir stared at the collar of his plain t shirt.

"You know I love you, right? I got us, baby" Antiere kissed her forehead.

"I want to go with Antiere" Nadir slid off of Chance's car.

"No" Faris disagreed. "You can't do whatever you want anymore"

Nadir continued to walk towards his car, unfazed by her words.

"I'm sorry" Antiere apologized to her mother.

He wanted her to leave with him anyways.

"Are you clean?" Faris demanded. "Nadir can't be around-"

"You can watch me take a drug test" Antiere dismissed the thought of going back to drugs.

"I'll see y'all later" Chancelor nodded his head towards Antiere before deciding to slap hands and give him a side hug.

"Antiere, bring her back" Faris shook her head, wanting to stand her ground.

"Mama, stop. Just let her go"

Faris started to cry, and Chance sunk his teeth into his lip to keep from doing the same.

Nadir was already crying in the car though.

-