34.

Omniscient

"Earnest, could you pleaseee open the door. Just let me leave"

"Why would you not want to speak to your brother?" Earnest tapped on the roof of his car.

Earnest actually wanted to meet Chance himself.

"You got us worried sick about you, and you ready to fuckin' jet again?" Chance yanked Nadir into a hug and squeezed her as tight as he could.

"I love you too, Chance" Nadir hugged him back.

"When you move back home, I swear-"

Antiere pulled Nadir away from Chance and buried his face into her neck. "Who's this muh'fucka, Nadir? Tell him to go home"

"I'm just a ridesharing service. What's up with the preconception and derogatory remarks?" Earnest questioned, holding back a smirk.

"He's just my friend"

"Friend? Tuh"

Earnest refrained from replying, because he knew that the boy's feelings were just hurt.

"Yeah, I met him when he got off work one day" She decided to tell half the story.

"I was on lunch break actually. If I was off, I would've had more cookies on me"

"And tell me that you haven't kissed your 'friend?' on multiple occasions" Antiere looked at the trail of hickies leading down into her dress.

He would have gladly given her those.

"I don't want to talk about it. What I would like to know is why didn't anyone tell me that my mother had been arrested. You guys saw how upset I was when I thought she just cut me off"

"Are you still a vir-"

"That's none of your business, Antiere"

"You disappointing me, baby"

"I'm not here to please you, but we can be friends, but I don't have a phone, and you'll most likely never see me in person again. You can have Earnest's number, but-"

"I don't want his number"

"Mental friends?"

"I know you didn't just friendzone me, baby"

"I said we had to break up, and I won't take it back. Thank you for being a friend to me, Antiere-"

"So you only liked me because I listened? You was lusting for a companionship?"

"I'm not letting you run off and play house with a random nigga, Nadir. It's not happening" Chance stated.

"I don't need you to let me do anything, Chance because you don't  make my decisions for me and I don't even live with him. I'm by myself, and I'm happy"

Happiness didn't count in his book.

"Nadir, no"

"I wasn't asking for your permission"

"You-"

"I'm legally able to be on my own. I just want to get the fuck away from all the bullshit here" Nadir stated

"Ma-"

"Imma need you to cool out on that shit" Antiere cut Earnest off.

The arguments.

The most dreaded part of this whole trip.

"If Nadir doesn't mind, then what's the problem?" Earnest questioned.

"She ain't your mother-"

"And she ain't yo infant either, but look at you calling her baby"

There was a long silence.

"So you didn't tell me that Pharoah hit you" Chance stated.

"You were upset with me for getting  high. You didn't bother asking"

"Okay, but that's something you supposed to tell somebody"

"Antiere knew, but I didn't tell him"

Chance turned to Antiere and Antiere cleared his throat. "I'm going to handle it"

Chance scowled and turned towards Nadir's friend. "So who are you?"

"Earnest"

"How old are you, and how much is your welfare check?"

"Twenty four. Enough to support my needs"

"So Nadir-"

"Nadir is homeless, so let's clear that up" She stated.

"Oh, you buggin'. You must be out'cho fuckin' mind"

"I thought you really killed yourself, Nadir. I would've wished, cause you fucked up" Pharoah walked up to them. "You still out here with wack ass niggas"

Nadir could feel the lump in her throat form, and she reached for the passenger's side door.

Two security officers stood nearby, watching their exchange of words.

Antiere turned towards Pharoah, but Chance had already kicked him in the stomach and pushed him towards the pavement.

Almost immediately, Pharoah received blows to the face.

That didn't stop him Antiere from jumping in though.

It didn't last long because officers were prepared for a confrontation 

"Earnest"

"Yeah, I'm ready to go too, ma" He closed Nadir's door for her, and got in on his side and then pulled off.

After driving for a little bit, Earnest spoke again.

"So I had one of my niggas cover my shifts for me. I turned this into a vacation"

Nadir blinked before turning towards him. "You stupid-"

"We ain't gotta talk to nobody, I just wanted to check out the city. But if you angry about it, let me make it up to you"

-