56.

Omniscient

"You're making this difficult for me" Nadir looked at Keandre who had his arms wrapped around her neck while standing on the counter.

He looked at her with sleepy eyes and leaned forward.

Nadir took him back into his room, and sat down in the rocking chair, wanting him to go back to sleep.

She rubbed his back while leaning back slowly. "Enjoy your nap, pumpkin"

He cooed a response and tried to fight it, but Nadir stuck a bottle in his mouth before attempting to take him to his crib, but his whole body jerked, and his eyes popped open.

"Sorry" She brought him back to her chest and left the room.

They went downstairs, and it was quiet except for him sucking on the bottle.

Nadir got her clothes out of the dryer, before going up to her room.

"Antiere"

"Antiere" He mocked, half asleep.

"Keandre doesn't want to sleep in his crib, and I have to-"

"Talk too much" Antiere rolled onto his back and Nadir placed Keandre on his chest.

Antiere pulled the bottle out of his son's mouth, and replaced it with a pacifier before opening his eyes and looking at Nadir.

"What?" She asked.

"Nothing. Mean ass"

"I'm leaving after I put my clothes on, and don't forget to bag your clothes because- nevermind. You don't do construction" She slipped into the bathroom.

Antiere scowled. "So you just gone mistake me for another nigga and then dip?"

"This is different. I'm still adjusting"

-
Nadir pushed off against her desk, and walked up to the front of the building to get a new case.

"Hi" She smiled at the desk attendant.

"Haven't seen you in a while" The lady smiled back, but her smile dropped when she saw the purple ring around Nadir's neck. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I was out of town for a while, and then I moved but I'm back now"

"Your neck is bruised, Nadir. You know if theres anyplace you could get help, its with us"

Nadir started to laugh. "Oh, no I- uh just got a cheap necklace and my skin reacted to it. I don't wear makeup so I don't have any to cover it up"

The bruise on her neck was from when she and Antiere had sex.

She got handed a folder, and the lady nodded. "Just checking"

"I appreciate it" Nadir said and went back to her desk where she saw Quadell sitting in her seat, eating a donut. "We all having dinner, and you invited. Earnest bringing a date, I'm bringing a date, Kay and Abani always on a date, etcetera"

"Yeah, I'll go. Is it fancy or no?"

"I thought you was gone ask about La'Earny date" He opened his box of Krispy Kreme and grabbed another donut.

"We should both be able to move on. You're getting glaze on my desk"

Quadell pulled up a smaller chair.

"Out of all the mothers that own businesses, yours owns this one"

"That why I get to do what the figgity fuck I want" Quadell laughed.

Nadir sat in the chair and skimmed through the file.

Two kids. One was two years old, and the other was seventeen. When their parents divorced, their whole family split up. The eldest child's current address was unknown, but the toddler bounced around between family members.

"I got a home to visit" Nadir stood up.

"Imma keep these donuts warm"

-

"Sorry i'm here last" Nadir took her seat. "I got caught up"

Keandre leaned over the table to get a good look at Nadir before smiling.

Everyone greeted her, and Antiere swiped his hand down her thigh.

She didn't respond, and her whole body stiffened.

Earnest squinted and stared at her while her eye shifted around every so often. "Hey, herpes. How was work?"

Nadir shook her head no.

"Excuse you" Antiere stated.

"Cheap shit. You don't even know how to put on makeup" Earnest reached across the table and basically wiped at Nadir's entire cheek, revealing her discolored skin.

Nadir immediately stood up. "Stop doing dumb shit, Earnest just leave it alone"

"And what the fuck happened to you?" Antiere asked and stood up with her, grabbing Keandre.

"I'll see you guys later" She mumbled without bothering to look at anyone.

"You gone have to see me behind bars first" Antiere said.

-