63. (It gets better)

I remember when I was supposed to end this book 20 chapters ago w/ Antiere killing himself
-

Omniscient

"So we've decided that it would be best to induce labor because one of your placentas is detaching, but we might have to do a cesarean section"

"She said one of" Nadir mumbled.

"Aw shit, sweetheart, you not no Beyoncé" Antiere said. "We'll take one please"

"You didn't know?" The nurse said.

"We wanted everything to be a surprise, unless there was a problem" Nadir said.

"That's why it was so quiet up in there cause them babies rarely ever kicked. They were in on it too" Antiere sat up.

Then there was a long pause.

"Sorry, could we have a moment?" Nadir asked and sat up.

"Of course. Take your time" She left.

"You know it wont hit me that we ready to take home a set of twins until they're on the way home"

"Antiere, we didn't think this through"

"How?"

"We dont have any names picked out out or anything, and we don't have two car seats, or as much stuff as we should've gotten"

"Yeah, we had a whole eight months. If this were a wattpad book, then we would've been ready three months ago with your bags packed in the trunk already. Probably would've even moved too, cause our big ass house somehow wouldn't have been big enough"

"I have half a hospital bag packed at home" Nadir said.

"Don't even stress, sweetheart. It ain't shit to ball out at the baby store"

"If you say so"

"You know what I be thinkin' bout?" Antiere asked.

"Nothing?"

"Well shit, I don't even wanna tell you anymore. Let me bring the nurse back in here"

Antiere got up, and came back with a nurse who was carrying a few items.

"We're going to set you up with an IV of oxytocin. Let's just hope that your cervix is soft and stretchy" The nurse smiled at her, and walked up to the head of the bed.

"I done tested it out for y'all. Everything is mushy, gushy and a'okay" Antiere said.

-

"Oh shit, they ready to slice you open"

Nadir was shaking on the other side of the drape, looking at the blue sheet that was blocking her view from what was happening.

"An-Antiere, I need you"

He walked up to her and immediately grabbed her hand, kissing it. "Does it hurt?"

She shook her head, and tried to speak, but closed her mouth instead.

It didn't hurt, there was just pressure and tugging sensations.

He wiped her face with a rag, and decided to sit with her. "You so nervous, sweetheart. You know imma put you in good hands"

"Is everyone here?"

"They in the waiting room acting like a bunch of niggas" He wiped at the tears streaming down her face.

Nadir reached up, and adjusted the mask on his face.

"You gone make me cry, and I aint even seen em yet" He stood up to look over the sheet before sitting down. "Wow

He could see the top of somebody's head.

Nadir could feel a tugging sensation, and there was muffled crying.

She could hear them suctioning their airways.

They raised a crying baby above the sheet so that they could see them, and then they walked across the room to put them on a tray.

"A beautiful baby girl coming in at seven pounds and four ounces. Born at 3:23pm"

"Would you like to cut the umbilical cord, dad?"

"Nah, i'm not tryna fuck my baby up" Antiere said.

Nadir's stomach dropped again, and then there was even more crying. The second baby was crying louder though.

They held that baby up too.

"And another baby girl. Born at 3:26pm"

"Aight, y'all gone pull our son out next, right?" Antiere said and wiped Nadir's face again.

"Your second one already has her fist in her mouth. She's six pounds and fourteen ounces of trouble"

"Anybody that has anything to do with Antiere is trouble" Nadir said.

They brought both of them over, and handed the oldest to Antiere.

"Any names?" One of the nurses handed Antiere a tissue.

He sniffed. "Aight so this is nigga princess #1, and that's nigga princess #2. Boom, daddy loves you"

"You won't feel it, but we're just going to wash up your vagina, and we'll do it tomorrow too to clean up any blood that might have leaked out after surgery. It's just a quick rinse and a pat down. Then we'll close you up"

Nadir rubbed the top of the unhappy baby's head. "Keandre's going to love you either way"

Antiere wiped his face on his shirt. "I honestly dont even have any names in mind for y'all"

"I like how you're downplaying the fact that you're crying. It's cute"

"Sweetheart, let me be"

"I like the names Aurelia and Anais"

-