Fliss

"No we waited around after the show for ages... unless her mams been taken 'ospital then I'd say she meant to leave her behind..." I said quietly, my voice shaken and heavy as I looked over my shoulder at Van sitting in the corner with Lyla giggling in his lap. She was transfixed by him, her big green eyes looking up all wide with awe.

"Right, okay," sighed the security guard, weary I suppose from the long night and the bad news. "Well you did the right thing by bringing her here, whats her name?"

"Lyla," I said, "I don't know her surname," he shrugged his shoulders and pulled a deflated expression.

"What can you do ey," he breathed looking past me at my friend. "Still it seems like you've kept her happy enough,"

"Well she's gonna have a miserable 48 hours now isn't she," I smirked softly, "had to send her off on a high didn't we," he chuckled a little sadly too, both of us trying to see the humour and failing miserably.

"Yeah," he smiled softly, "well, thanks for brining her in, we'll take good care of her now," he forced a bigger smile as he approached Van and took Lyla into his own arms, greeting her with the same soft coo we had both used, giving her false hope for some more friendly faces.

"Bye Lyla," grinned Van, waving to her with all the enthusiasm he could muster, going along with our "everythings gonna be alright" facade for her benefit and probably mine.

"See you later little bean," I smiled softly, cheeks splitting into a grin as I tried to hide a tear for her when she opened her arms and starfished her hands asking for another cuddle.

"Heeeeey Lyla!" She giggled and clapped her hands at me, her eyes as bright as you like, evergreen like the forest and the grass beneath our feet.

"Heyyyy lyla," I sang back with a little laugh waving her goodbye before we turned and left the little girl alone with security.

Outside it seemed quieter than usual, certainly quiet for a Saturday night. The sun had gone down and the fairy lights above our head which framed the tents and hung from posts to guide us home were the only lights left.

Every now and then someone elses torch would wash us in bright white blinding light, but just as quickly as it washed over our skin, was it gone.

I felt Vans arm snake around me, guiding me into his side so as I might rest my head on his shoulder and walk in step with him. Time my exhales with his.

"God I need a massive drink," I breathed, "an some mandy or somet," I giggled the last bit, "wheres Jazz when you need him..."

"Luke will have somet for yous I'm sure," smirked Van, his thumb brushing my bare shoulder as soothing as he could. "Thats upset you hasnt it..." he nodded back over his shoulder as if the scene I'd just been a part of was playing on a loop behind us. I shrugged my shoulders and bit back one of those sad smiles, trying to hold back on misery and focus on a silver lining. He smirked nudging me playfully with a sweet talking tone and a coaxing smile, "you can tell me you know,"

"We're supposed to be having a party," I shrugged trying to hold my chin up high, hoping my eyes would catch the lights and gleam all giddy with joy, but my chest was heavy and Van wasn't blinded as easily as other boys.
He stopped, holding onto my hand, our fingers stretching, almost breaking a part as I tried to carry on walking and he held me back with a small smirk, watching me fondly from behind his messy fringe.

"Come on Fliss," he chuckled, tugging me back towards him, his finger under my chin as I huffed and rolled my eyes, stomach twisting a little nervously because he was about to ask me a question I didn't want to answer. "The party can wait," he fixed his gaze on mine and I couldn't help lose myself momentarily. "You're upset aren't you..."/