Fliss

I watched Van stretched across the pool table, they were playing a rematch, just him and Bob, because he reckoned he could do better than Bondy had done alone and to be fair, he was right, though not much better.

I leant back against the bar stirring a double vodka coke, looking around at the pub and the people, only really thinking about my dad and how different my life could have been if he'd taken me with him when he left. This would have been my local, and Van and the lads might have been my friends, and so just for a night, it was nice to pretend that thats exactly what this was. My normal Friday night, down the pub after work with the lads. Nothing complicated just a few pints and a game of pool.

No shoulder to constantly look over, no aching chest whenever I glanced at Van, who was never glancing at me and was always concentrating on something else. 

"Jesus wept Van give it here," I groaned taking the cue out of his hand and taking the shot before he'd even had the chance to realise who had done it. "There," I said half a smirk half a glare as he stood blinking back at me, astounded.

"Oh um, cheers darlin," he said coughing a little, trying to cover up the way I'd taken him by surprise.

"Any time," I shot him half a smile, a little sarcastic, a little short tempered, before returning to my drink, sitting down beside Saffy who was stirring her own drink, this strange faraway expression on her face which I had hoped coming here would shift.

"Now then mardy bum," she hummed the corners of her lips quirking because she knew the reason for my bad mood.

"He's just acting like nothings wrong,"

"Yeah," she nodded, "I noticed... thats Van though isn't it,"

"What do you mean,"

"Happy go lucky, like a bottle of pop,"

"You think Van Mccann is like a bottle of pop,"

"Cherryaid to be precise," she said her voice faraway just like her eyes as she followed Johnny across the room. I bit back a smirk, bewildered at first, "you know, bit indie, but kinda sweet and your mum likes it,"

"My mum doesnt like it,"

"Your mum won't like Van either though will she... is he still going the wedding?" She asked, turning to me then, though I was watching him.

"I dont know do I, he won't talk to me properly, won't let me get him alone..."

"Maybe he's waiting for the opportune moment.'."

"When is the opportune moment to break up with someone you were only half seeing?" I sneered sarcastically, but someone else cut in and wiped that smile clean off my lips.

"Who's breaking up with who?" Asked Van with half a chuckle as he gulped down half his beer, slipping in beside me, arm draped lazily across the back of the seat we were now sharing. I stiffened, bristling as his lackadaisical nature wound me up even more.

"No one you nosy git piss off," I flashed him a toothy smile, trying to be cheeky, but something didnt sit right and I think he could tell. He only sort of smiled back, only sort of laughed along.

"Alright alright," he sniggered, "am only trying to make conversation, I thought you northern girls were meant be friendly,"

"If you're gonna start pushin her buttons you can pay for the privilege and buy us another round," cut in Saffy with a sweeter smile, finally turning her attention away from the others, or the other, to us.

Van only cracked a grin, hands up in surrender before abandoning his cue and making his way to the bar. I let out a sigh, looked to Saffy for some assurance but she was already gazing once again at Johnny Bond, and so, there was nothing left for me to do but roll my eyes, pick up the cue and take his place at the pool table to win him a game.