Chapter 15

Note: This story is taking place in both the HeartGold and SoulSilver universes which means both Legendaries will be encountered.

I do not know the true personalities of some characters like Kotone/Lyra, Ethan/Hibiki, etc. Their personalities will be predicted from the resources in the game, anime, and info source(s). Their Pokémon teams are decided by info sources and the experience of gameplay from my brother and myself.

Fonts that are darkened represents Author Notes and whose P.O.V it is. Italics are used on the main flashbacks or recaps of the past and any reading from engraved materials(wood, stone, pages, etc)

All Pokédex entries are a combination of the entries of HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Source of Information: Bulbapedia

Number of Words: 1100

~~♛~~

Lyra~

You could say I was surprised to see Ethan here; however, Professor Elm's words began echoing through my head; that Ethan would be here the next day in Goldenrod City, and today was that 'next day'.

Marill was the Pokémon that was embracing my leg with the familiar warmth. As I realized Togepi had awoken, I let her on the ground to play with Marill. They were both pure Pokémon that shouldn't get in between this situation.

I gazed at Ethan and noted how shocked he was to see me... with Silver out of all people, I presume. I guess it would be surprising for him since he hasn't seen Silver before... or maybe it's the fact that Silver was a criminal to him; after all, he did steal a Pokémon from the Professor's lab.

"Hello, Ethan..." I whispered in an attempt to greet him.

I unclasped my hand from Silver's hold and began walking towards him, hoping to be standing at least a metre from him. But then, my right arm swung back, stopping me in my tracks. Realizing the five-metre rule, I look back at Silver.

Seeing what was happening, Silver took a few steps forward, allowing me to finally be a metre apart from Ethan.

But even then, I still felt a pang of guilt pounding in my chest. He must've been worried for me, seeing I was with Silver must've caused him to be concerned for me.

"Ethan...?" I called his name again. His eyes were staring at the ground with a blank expression. "What's going on, Lyra?"

It was my turn to stare at the ground, but my eyes held guilt and pity.

"I'm sorry..." I mumbled.

"I don't understand, Lyra. Why are you with him, of all people? He's a criminal!"

The next thing I realized was that my right hand was gripping the collar of his black shirt. It was balled into a fist while gripping the black fabric. My fists began trembling. A flow of anger rushed through my thoughts.

Ethan didn't say a word more.

What angered me was that Ethan just sees Silver as a criminal who stole Totodile from Professor Elm's lab and not as a regular passerby boy. Not as a human, from a certain perspective.

"He's not a criminal..." I gritted from my teeth, knowing all too well that I was lying to myself.

"Why are you defend him, Lyra...? We have to turn him in, for the Pokémon's sake!" he asked me, with a tone of pain being released from the tip of his tongue.

His hand reached up to my balled fist that was still crumbling the collar of his shirt. I felt his warm hand atop of my hand and a spread of warmth flowed at the top of my fist.

But I didn't feel any sparks. And it didn't matter anyway.

My hand slowly released his collar as my voice replied with a slightly hoarse tone.

"You wouldn't understand..."

As my hand fully release his collar, his fingers gripped my hand tightly. "What is it that I won't understand?"

"If I try to tell you the truth, you wouldn't understand what I'm trying to say," I replied to him, knowing I'll regret it later.

But it was partially true. I wouldn't be imagining him understanding in an instant if I told him the lives of Silver and myself were tied.

I could tell that he was seriously hurt that I would keep something from him, by the looks of his current facial expression. We are childhood friends, after all. We used to always tell each other our problems.

And because of the actions of this 'S', it's ruining my friendship with Ethan. It deeply hurts me that all this had to happen.

"It's best if you stay out of it," I heard a sharp voice say from behind me. It was recognizably belonging to Silver.

Ethan's grip on my right hand tightened, causing me to wince slightly.

"This doesn't concern you. We don't need another person to get involved. Stay out of it," he said, wrapping his hand around my right wrist—surprisingly calm.

Slowly, I slipped my hand from Ethan's grip as Silver's fingers locked with mine.

Togepi and Marill ran back to where the three of us stood. And with a quick pace, Marill grabbed something from Ethan's bag and ran towards me; a camera.

Remembering Professor Elm's words, I accepted the camera and placed it in my bag. My left arm scooped Togepi as Silver began to drag me out of the Goldenrod Tunnel.

I could bare to look behind me, knowing that Ethan was there. As much as I want to apologize to him, it's for the best if he doesn't get involved. I wouldn't forgive myself if he got seriously hurt physically.

"Toge?" I heard Togepi curiously cry out.

I looked to where Togepi was looking and saw a bench. On the bench was a bag, on top of the pile of paper. Silver stopped, realizing that I stopped before him. What my eyes spotted was a letter.

As I took a closer look at the letter, I realized that it was addressed to us.

S' letter.

I dragged Silver to the bench, to retrieve the letter. Removing the bag, I found two letters for us; one that's addressed to both of us and one addressed specifically to me. I placed Togepi on the ground for a second, to pick up the letter.

"Silver, look," I informed him, passing him the letter for the both of us.

He took the letter and opened it, reading out loud what it entails.

~~♛~~

Be sure to vote and comment on the story. Also, correct me on any mistakes during the story.

Hope you enjoyed it and are looking forward to the next chapter~

~Lisa~