Back Home

Jason's pov

*a few weeks later*

I was driving back home, catching a week break in the tour so I wanna check on the family. So far, I've helped cross over 5 ghosts. "My only problem." I mumble thinking out loud. "Is when they sneak up on me." One a these days I'm gonna wreck my truck. I get home at 7:30. Sam will already be in bed. I sigh and turn my truck off as the door opens. "Jason!" She gasps smiling. I smile tiredly and walk over to my girl. "Hey honey, how was the homefront?" "A little lonely." We go inside. "I'm sorry I haven't been able to be here. I just... Got the tour." "It's okay, Jay. I'm not upset." She says hugging me. "I made apple pie." I smile. We eat pie then go to bed.

*the next day*

I almost scream when the man I saw in the road coming home from Rachel's funeral is sitting beside my bed. "Y-You c-can't do that!" I choke out sitting up, my heart racing. "You can see the dead." "I don't care. You can't show up at my house!" I shout annoyed. "Jason?" Miranda mumbles half asleep. I drop my voice to a whisper. "What do you need?" "It isn't me." He says tipping his hat. "It's my son." I sigh and get dressed. "Well tell me what it is you need me to do. I'll try to do it." He vanishes. Ugh. I rub my eyes. "Man this is tiring." I mumble sitting back down. The doorbell rings. I sigh and trudge downstairs to answer it. "Stupid ghost wakin' me up early." I mumble annoyed. I open the door and it's a little boy. "Please mister have you seen this dog?" He hands me a flyer. "I.... I uh... I just got home." I say, looking at it. "He ran off. If ya see him, call that number please. He means everything to me!" "I'll keep a look out." Poor kid. He goes to the truck at the end of the driveway and they drive off. "I'm up now." I mutter annoyed. I go take a shower and when I get out, I hear Miranda say, "Hold still." I walk into Sam's room. She was braiding her hair. "Where are y'all going?" "The historical society is auctioning off some old stuff from this old boys' home. We're gonna go look." She says smiling softly at Sam. "Mama loves antiques." Sam says. I didn't know she did. Sam runs downstairs. "You comin'?" I force a smile and nod. We go there and I stay out of the auction stuff. Surprise fills me though when I see a little boy in one of the second story windows! I find one of the history people. "Does anyone live here?" I ask, my eyes never leaving the little blonde boy. "Just the caretaker." He says. "Does he have any kids?" "Oh heavens no. All his kids have moved on and had kids of their own. The caretaker is almost 80." I stare at the guy surprised then when I look back at the window, the little boy is gone.