Brothers For Life

Jason's pov

I get back from the studio. Miranda was the only one home. "Where are the kids?" "Sam went to a friend's house and your mom took the boys to the zoo." "Oh. How... How's she uh doing?" "She was fine. Are you okay?" I nod, nervous. I sit beside her on the couch. "What's wrong, Jason? Talk to me." I don't know what's wrong and I don't know what to say. "Did something happen today?" "No... I'm just a little shaken up from the other night." "I'm worried about you." I sigh. "I'm worried about me too." I mumble, laying back against the couch. I feel her hand on my arm. She was almost dead. She was almost not here. What would I have done? I'd have lost my mind. I shake the chilling thoughts from my mind. "I'm gonna call Mom. See how the boys are doing." She grabs my hand as I pull out my phone. "Jason promise me you're gonna be alright." "I... I will." She hugs me. I shakily drop the phone and hug her back. "I love you. I'm so scared for you." "I... I'm fine baby." I say. I feel so bad. My messed up fuddled mind is scaring my girl. "Everything will be okay." I say, just then mom walks through the door, trailed by Mason and Max. I smile. "Hey boys how was the zoo?" I say, walking over. "Great. I love seeing all the animals!" Mason says, holding cotton candy. "But why are they all locked in cages?" Max asks, glancing at the door. "Oh bud they're happy. They get fed and taken care of." I say, smiling at my young son's adorableness. "Aw come on Max don't be such a baby." Mason says. Weird sense on deja Vu right now. "Don't call your brother a baby for caring about animals." I say. I hug my mother. "Thanks for taking them out." "No problem. They're such great little boys." I smile. "I'll see ya later mom." She leaves. "Now boys, you guys are twins. Ya need to look after one another." I say, picking up both boys and sitting on the couch. "Ya gotta have each other's backs. No matter what. It's always best to have a right hand man and you guys were lucky enough to have one since the beginning." I force a smile, missing my little brother. "I know ya don't know this... B-But... Daddy had a twin." "What? You did?!" They both look shocked. I nod. "He was a crazy fun guy who got me in trouble alot." I shakily say, remembering all the hard times. "But there were fun times too. Like the lodge and the concerts we went to. He helped me sneak in bars when we were underage." I smirk at my wife. "He was alot smarter at sneaking than I was." "What happened to him, daddy?" Mason asks. "He.... He died.... He died saving me and your mother." "Whoa!" Max says. Miranda sits beside us. "What was his name?" I knew they were gonna ask me that. I sigh sadly. "My baby brother's name was Mason." Both boys look shocked again. "He caused alot of problems but we always had each other's backs. Even when he made me really really mad. I need y'all to do the same. Cause it's a dog eat dog world out there and ya gotta stick together. Mason, ya gotta take care of Max and Max ya gotta take care of Mason. Y'all are brothers. And brothers, no matter where ya are, you're still gonna be brothers. And the fun thing, your best friend can be your family." "We're sorry daddy." I hug them. "I'm sorry for calling you a baby, Max." I smile. "I love you both so much." "We love you too Daddy." I set them down and they go to their room to play. "Wow. That was amazing." I smile. "I miss my brother every damn day of my life. Sometimes I wish it was me and not him that died that day but then I see the boys.... And I know... This is what was meant to be." "I'm so glad you didn't die that day." She whispers hugging me. "I love you baby." "I love you too."