Awkward Timings

To: V

Warning: This chapter is rated PG-13 and contains triggers.

From: S

Hey, are you still ok for tonight? X

To: S

From: V

You bet! I'm waiting for my dessert. XD X

To: V

From: S

I'm sure...;) Ok, well I'm leaving now. See you soon. X

TWENTY MINUTES LATER

To: V

From: S

I'm currently stuck in traffic five blocks from you, am going to be late. Sorry. X

20:45, NEW YORK

Sebastian pulled up outside of Valerian's home forty five minutes late. He cursed himself for not leaving earlier. Why did his cat have to be so annoying? Why did it have to claw at his best suit just before he left? He had had to change because of that feline and then to make matters worse, he had been caught in traffic on the way here. Luck was not on his side. The actor hoped that he would not been in too much trouble with his new lady friend.

As he walked up to the front door, he could sense that something was wrong. Valerian's front door was ajar. Cautiously walking in, Sebastian glanced around the quiet hallway. He proceeded to walk towards the kitchen, prepared for whatever laid beyond them. When he entered the room, he was completely shocked to find Valerian slumped in a chair at the dining table, dressed in a beautiful, knee-length gown of berry red tulle, clutching at a bottle of red wine. She was alerted by the sound of footsteps, Valerian sat up shakily, wiping her tears away. "Where have you been?" she slurred. "You were meant to be here at eight."

Tossing his jacket aside, he pulled up a seat beside her, untangling the alcohol bottle from her fingers. "I sent you a text, I was stuck in traffic. What happened?"

"Jason is what happened." Valerian whined, moving to slouch in her chair. As she did, the hem of her dress moved to reveal several deep, purple bruises on her knee. Sebastian's sea blue eyes widened in shock, his gazed analysed other parts of her body, that's when he noticed that her body was mottled with vile bruises and cuts.

"Did he hurt you?!" the Marvel actor cupped his girlfriend's face with both of his hands. "Valerian, what did he do to you?"

That was when she burst into tears, pulling away from his grip but Sebastian instead held her to him. Valerian buried her face into his chest, she sobs turning into wails of distress. "I thought it was you, he turned up at eight and I opened the door to him. He was drunk, more than usual. Jason started yelling at me and I used to be able to calm him down but this time...

...he just kept hitting me, no matter how much I fought him. He just kept beating me, over and over again."

"Where is he now?

She shrugged. "In a gutter somewhere." Valerian lay against Sebastian's chest, listening to his heartbeat. "I kept praying that you'd burst into the room and save me. Maybe fight him Winter Soldier style."

Sebastian suddenly felt extremely uneasy and guilty. "You know I would of if I would have known."

"But you never came and I was so scared of what he might do. I screamed for you but... YOU. NEVER. CAME. Sebastian, you never came to save me... "

"I'm so sorry, so, so sorry. I wish I could go back in time and stop that monster. Please, forgive me, I'm so sorry." Sebastian bit his lip, trying to think of how he could protect her now. "Valerian, can you stand?"

"I'm not sure, I'm rather tipsy."

"Sit here, then. I'm getting some of your clothes and stuff, you're coming to stay with me." she began to protest but the heroic male kissed her on the lips tenderly, silencing her. "I insist." he mumbled, placing another kiss on Valerian's forehead. "I'm going to do all I can to keep you safe."