Awkward Loki

Dedicated to @stuckybarnes because you said that Loki was your hero.

He was cold, so cold. Shivers ran up and down his arching spine as he tried to escape the bitter chill. Loki gasped in pain, the cold had turned to heat, no fire. He was burning. The flames were slowly consuming his body. Setting his limbs alight. "No, nooo." he mumbled. Before he could stop himself, he was screaming, crying out for help. Literally reaching out for salvation, his hands grappling at thin air. Suddenly cool hands entwined with Loki's, moving his arms to sit by his sides. A deliciously refreshing towel was wiped across his brow. Delicatly, a hand brushed his cheek, soothing his cries. Through blurred vision, he saw the hazy figure of a woman, the features were not clear enough for him to work out who it was. "Mother." he murmured.

"Sssssh, you need to rest." his Mother whispered.

"You came back..."

"I can't stay."

Loki sighed, turning his head against the pillow. "I know but stay with me a while."

"Of course, my beautiful boy. My beautiful, talented child."

"I love you, Mother."

"I love you too. Now rest, you need your strength."

Then, the Prince fell into a peaceful, deep sleep.

Morning arrived once more on Asgard, providing warm rays that, again, crept through the heavy curtains, casting a small amount of light around the large room. Particles of dust filter through the air, becoming visible, no golden, in the bright sunshine.

Like every morning, Loki began to stir. His memories of last night hazy, except he remembered the fire, it was difficult not to remember something that caused you great agony.

Water, he suddenly needed water. His throat was parched, raw from the involuntary screaming. It hurt too. Urgh, every time he swallowed, it felt as if he was swallowing swords.

Looking around, he suddenly flinched in shock, for his 'wench' was sitting slumped on a the side of the bed next to him, a cloth gripped in one hand and his own hand in the other. She looked as exhausted as he felt, although he probably looked worse than her. Then it dawned upon the immortal that the she had been the woman he saw last night, not his Mother. He was not sure whether or not to feel angry towards her. Her impersonation had been an act of kindness yet Loki felt betrayed by the illusion, through his delierium he had been given false hope. "Maiden, maiden, girl wake up." he hoarsly croaked.

Her eyes opened first, then she yawned, blinking. She looked him sleepily for a moment before smiling meekly at him, before acknowledging her surroundings and blushing, leaping off the bed and acting like a servant once more.

"So, it was you last night I saw, you're the one who came to my chambers." he hissed.

She nodded, already beginning to back away from the bed. The maid opened her mouth to say something but decided it was better to remain quiet.

Loki's eyes narrowed. "I should be kicking you out of my room right now for that false illusion but," he sighed. "I am too weary for such activities." in his mind he decided that she was most likely trying to be helpful, to not break his heart further. Not that he would ever tell her that!

"M-my Prince," she stuttered in the quietest voice. "you we-ere in a delirious state, it was you who thought I was your Mother, the Queen, sorry. It was you who spoke to me as if I were her, I just spoke as she did, so that you would not sink further into your fit."

"Oh I know that but even though you were being nice, it was still cruel." then he smirked. "Well, well, well, look who's talking to save their own skin."

She squeaked in horror! Her blush deepening further, before she rushed out of the room in embarrassment. Loki chuckled for the first time in days. "Mewling quim."

A/N: QUESTION OF THE DAY: IF YOU HAD TO BE STUCK IN A GLASS SHIELD CELL WITH LOKI, WHAT WOULD BE THE FIRST THING YOU'D SAY TO HIM?

ME: Well, this is odd.