Awkward Further Analysis

"But Doctor Hemms, don't you agree that this could be a huge break through for the project? We've never that this sort of development before." Celestial Ninety tried to persuade the doctor to consider her idea.

He sat there silently for a moment, considering the pros and cons. "I must admit that it is the most unusual of circumstanes." Doctor Hemms looked up at the nurse and nodded. "All right, let us continue to observe their progress in a controlled enviroment. We'll have  mentors speak to them once a week."

The flame-haired female frowned, not fully agreeing with the doctor's plan. "Is that really a wise idea?"

"I think so." he paused once more. "Take them to Observation Room Seven, tell them the news there. Let me know how they react."

She nodded. "I'll go and do that now."

"While you do that, I shall contact Planetary Eighteen and brief them on what we're planning."

XOX

"So, you understand now why we're going to be observing you for a little longer?" Celestial Ninety sat on the edge of the desk before the two test subjects. She noticed the way that one looked furiously at the other, who was trying not to meet their eye contact.

Asterpid Five focused her gaze back at the nurse, still feeling extremely angry. "Okay, I'll take part in your extended research." she tried to keep her voice even, when all she really wanted to do was punch Atmos Twelve in the face. Repeatedly. How could he have fallen in love with her? The dream sequences they had faced together had been fabricated by a mini main frame.  Simulated reality. If she could feel nothing towards him, then why couldn't he? All Asteroid Five wanted to do was return to the one bedroom apartment she owned, that was situated above the coffee shop she worked in. Her life was simple but peaceful and most certainly did involve anyone by the name, Atmos Twelve. "I just want to know why he likes me? It makes no sense whatsoever, the whole thing was a scientific test. Surely, if one of us fell in love, then the other should too?"

The nurse glanced at Atmos Twelve, waiting for his reply, she frowned at the mask of pain he wore on his facial features. "Atmos Twelve, is there anything that you would like to say on the matter?"

He glanced up at her and then turned his head to look at Asteroid Five, his beautiful blue eyes brimming with tears. "You want to know why I care?" he snarled, his voice dripping with shock and sadness.

The female test subject seemed oblivious to his pain and how he truly felt about her. "If you could tell me, it would be most helpful."

To Celestial Ninety's horror, Asteroid Five yawned in boredom. This gesture didn't go unnoticed by Atmos Twelve. "I care because I had to watch you die before me very eyes and there was nothing I could do." he stated, staring at the girl he loved with a hardened look, his eyes narrowed as he continued. "I had to watch you become weaker and more dependant. I had to help carry you around your parents home in Ireland because you were far too weak to support your mere weight."

Asteroid Five suddenly rose from her seat, causing it to tip over and crash to the floor with a mighty thud. "But none of that was real, why aren't you understanding that?!"

Atmos Twelve too stood up. "Because I've experienced the same situation before with my previous girlfriend!"

The room instantly fell into an awkward silence. A slice of tension pie, anyone?

"Wh-what?" she whispered, her anger seeping away.

"I...I wrote on my form about the various tragedies I had been through, her death was one of them." his voice broke. "In the simulator, I had to relive those final months, a time in my life I wish I could forget. That's why I care so much about you." Atmos Twelve looked over at Celestial Ninety, who was nervously biting her nails. He turned his attention back to Asteroid Five. "I care because there was nothing I could do to save Planetary Eighteen's life. She died and there was nothing I could do. Whereas with you, you're still alive, I lost you but you're here. So I'm sorry if you don't love me but I didn't exactly choose to feel this way, it just happened."

She stared at him, there was no maliciousness in her gaze, just sadness. "I wrote on my form too." Asteroid Five swallowed her tears back, she wasn't crying because of his emotional past, she was crying because of hers. "I too had to experience things from my past. My ex? He was exactly as portrayed in the simulator, only I didn't have a film star burst into the apartment and save me. Maybe I should be grateful for you did but it wasn't real, what I experienced, it was all just in my head. It didn't stop Hemisphere Three from making me be a victim until I told someone about what he did. So, I'm sorry but I am not your deceased girlfriend and I never will be." she paused, letting out a shaky breathe. Asteroid Five focused on Celestial Ninety. "I'll still participate in your tests but I don't think that it'll help you understand the human psyche any more that you already do. I think you're wasting your time."

The nurse sighed, folding her arms. "Atmos Twelve, how do you feel about that?"

He was sat back in his chair, arms folded across his chest. Atmos Twelve averted his gaze to the floor. "Do what you like. I don't care." he mumbled, biting his lip, trying to fit back tears. Why had he bothered saying anything? Of course Asteroid Five wouldn't understand his pain, she had her own to deal with, not that her words didn't hurt him.

Prehaps awkward boys don't always get the girl?

A/N: A short chapter for you all, this are the introduction "scenes" but the storyline should start getting more interesting soon.

QUESTION OF THE DAY: YOU'RE A SHIELD AGENT AND YOU'RE ON A MISSION, SOMEONE FROM YOUR FAVOURITE FANDOM HAS TO TAKE A BULLET FOR YOU, WHO IS IT?