Awkward Technological Communication

8:00 PM

The phone rang, causing Valerian to jump. She glanced at the homr phone and two her mobile, where Sebastian was still waiting. The shrill of it's ringtone was tempting Valerian to answer her call. She looked once more at Sebastian. He looked unsurprised at her torment. "Go on, answer it."

She smiled at him. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Valerian quickly rushed to the phone. "Hello?"

"Hello, Val, sorry to call so late-" it was her sister, the non-twin, Eva.

"Hey, can I call you back? Sebastian's in the middle of proposing."

"Oh my goodness, why are you on the phone to me? Go back to him now, you crazy woman! Call me back after!" she rang off, leaving her sibling grinning.

The brunette 'crazy woman' skipped back to the phone where she found Sebastian still waiting, still on one knee. "Hey, Seb?"

He looked back to the phone screen, looking slightly amused.

"So, when do you want me at the alter?"

It took a minute for Sebastian's brain to register what she had just said but when it did, he jumped up and cheered, causing Valerian to laugh. "Oh, Valerian Cassanova, you have just made me the happiest man alive!"

"I love you, Sebastian." she smiled at him through the camera. Valerian could feel her eyes beginning to water.

He smiled at her, contentedly. "I love you too." he noticed her tears. "Are you crying?"

The brunette female quickly wiped them away. "No, I'm just so, so happy."

"Oh, Val..."

"I'm fine! Just ignore me, I'm being silly."

Her phone began to ring again. Sebastian could hear it through his side of the phone. He rolled his eyes, seeing the conflict in her face. "Answer it, Valerian. I'll speak to you in a bit."

"Are you sure?"

He nodded. "Go! I'll still be here later."

She mouthed 'Thank you' and then they both rang off. Valerian ran to the phone and hastily answered it. "Hello?"

"What did you say? What did you say?" she was met with the excited voice of her sister, Eva.

Valerian laughed, feeling extremely jubilent. "I said 'Yes', obviously."

There was a squeal of excitement down the receiver. "OMFG, Val, you're engaged!"

"I know! I can't really believe it either, it's happened all so quickly!"

"What ring did he get you?"

"Platinum band with a single emerald."

"Your favourite stone."

Valerian couldn't believe that he had remembered. "I couldn't believe it either."

There was some talking in the background. Eva was talking to her boyfriend, Andrew Garfield. "Sorry, Val, I got to go now, 'Drew and I are due out. I will definitely talk to you later!"

"It's fine, Sis. Have a nice evening."

"You too, stay safe."

"And you."

Then, there was silence once more. Or at least there was until Valerian received another text. She froze for a moment, hoping that it wasn't her vile ex-boyfriend again. With a shaking hand she picked up her mobile from the table where she had left it and unlocked her phone screen. Valerian's heart was beating loudly in her chest, blood thundering to her ears. She breathe a sigh of relief, it was her niece, Isla.

To: Valerian

From: Isla

Hey, Aunt Val. Aunt Eva just messaged me to say that Sebby proposed. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am SOOOO happy for you! :D

I know that you're probably calling all your friends and won't get this message for a while but I was wondering if you could send me a link to that Loki fanfic you've been reading. You see, I am at this lame party and I am going out of my mind 'cause of boredom. Could you send it to me? Thanks.

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS, again!!!

To: Isla

From: Valerian

Actually, you are the second person I've told and thank you!!! I will send it to you now, lame parties are a drag. Here you go:

His consciousness was slowly returning to him, he could feel himself beginning to stir. Something was irritating him, a slight stinging sensation in his foot. Was it still bleeding? How pathetic, how human. It appeared her really could hit a new all time low.

Opening his weary eyes, Loki found he was extremely disorientated. Blinking several times, the world began to refocus. Once he could see clearly again, much to his surprise, the rugged prince found himself back in his own chambers. Everything was exactly as he remembered it. However, before he could admire the room further, Loki realised he had more urgent business to attend to, the issue being who was the young maiden seeing to his wound?

Hastily sitting up, Loki saw that his sudden movement had surprised the girl, causing her to back herself into a nearby wall, clutching bandages to her chest. "And who exactly are you?" he demanded.

She did not answer him, instead a blush crept onto her pale cheeks as she turned her head away from him, refusing to meet his eye.

"You dare ignore my question?" his anger was rising, he was still grieving and all Loki wanted was to be left alone. This girl was preventing that. Scrambling across the bed, Loki cornered her, trapping the maiden. His emerald green eyes stared intently at her, narrowing when she failed to meet his gazed.

"You don't even look at your Prince? Am I that shameful to look upon?" he hissed venomously in her ear. "Or maybe you've been told not to, hmm? Has the almighty Thor deemed me unfit to look at? That just by a simple glance into my eyes, you'll be put under a heavy spell? Well, if that is the case, they are fools because I can't perform magic. This bracelet," he held his wrist up. The maiden flinched. "is preventing me from wielding any magic. Satisfied? Will you look at me now as I talk to you. Why, you are but a lowly servant and I am your Prince, you must do as I say."

She still did not dare to look at him, instead the poor girl trembled in fear, unable to even answer him.

Loki just wanted her out of his sight. He wanted solitude. "Fine, if you will not converse or even acknowledgecmy presence, then I suggest you leave. I may not have any powers but I can still be brutal when angered and my patience is wearing thin. So be gone, lowly wench." he pushed himself away from her, turning away. Focusing on reining in his ever growing anger.

The was a ruffle of skirts. The sound of a door opening and closing. The turning of many locks. Only then, was Loki able to collapse onto his bed and cry himself to sleep.

Our heroine smiled to herself. Her niece was growing up so fast. Maybe even one day, she would be proposed to. Although, she would have to get a boyfriend first. Now that Valerian thought about it, she had never seen Isla take any interest in anyone. She always had her head in a book or a comic, much like Valerian before she met a jacket-less Sebastian.

Her text alert soundrd again, Valerian assumed that it was Isla saying thank you for the link.

It wasn't.

To: Valerian  Cassanova

From: Jason Stepman

I'm still waiting for that talk.