Awkward Fanfiction

A/N: Dedicated to @slytherin_queen12

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN THE LYRICS USED.

@VallyStan

'Somewhere Along In The Bitterness'

by @VallyStan

Everybody knows it sucks to grow up and everybody does
It's so weird to be back here let me tell you what
The years go on and we're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
You'll try and try and one day you'll fly away from me

"Uncle Steve! STEVE!" Lexi Stark walked in through the door of her Uncle's apartment, tears running down her face. She was still in her school uniform and carrying her favourite Hello Kitty backpack. She dumped the bag on the ground, feeling another wave of tears wash over her. "Uncle Steve, are you here?" Lexi began to wander deeper into the flat, searching for her Uncle.

Lexi exited the living room, finding herself in the hallway, no really sure where Steve could be. The girl walked around the rest of the home for a bit, wondering where he would be hiding. She looked in the bedroom, the room was empty. Lexi searched in the bathroom, the kitchen, Bucky's study (Steve and Bucky were flatmates), any of the other bedrooms, the only place left was the garden but Lexi highly doubted that Steve had gone out there. The only other place was the balcony.

Lexi walked to the glass doors and peered outside and there he was, her Uncle, asleep on a sun lounger with a book resting on his chest.

Sliding the door across, the young niece stepped onto the balcony, shivering as the heat set into her bones and banished the air conditioning chill. She walked over to her sleeping Uncle and gently shook his shoulders. "Uncle Steve?"

He slowly opened his eyes, meeting Lexi's saddened gaze with irises of the most beautiful blue. "Lexi!" he sat up, noticing her tears. "Honey, what's wrong?!"

Lexi sat herself down beside her caring Uncle, leaning into his much needed hug. "I'm sorry for coming over like this." her voice broke as a sob wracked her small frame.

"Oh, Lex. Is it your Dad?"

She shook her head, confirming Steve's next question.

"School." he sighed, holding her closer.

"They're so mean, Uncle Steve." the young girl sobbed into Steve's white t-shirt, staining it was her unhappiness. "Why...why do they have to be so cruel?!"

He rocked her soothingly back and forth, trying to calm her down. "I don't know, Hun. I wish I could tell you but some people are just so pathetic, that they have to take out their insecurities out on someone."

"I wish that they'd all just leave me alone."

He tenderly kissed the top of her head. "I know, Lexi, I know."

Everybody knows it hurts to grow up and everybody does
It's so weird to be back here let me tell you what
The years go on and we're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
And you're so much like me, I'm sorry

The balcony doors opened again. Bucky walked through them this time. "Hey, Steve. I-" he froze when he saw Lexi weeping and her Uncle trying to comfort her. "Lexi, what's wrong?!" he placed the carton of milk on the outdoor table and walked over to the duo on the sun lounger.

"It's the bullies at school." Steve looked up at his best friend, watching Bucky's face contort into a mask of sympathy.

The ex-assassin sat down beside Lexi and pulled her from Steve into his own hug. "Oh, baby girl, it's okay. Sssh, it's all okay." he whispered comfortingly into her ear. His heart broke at the sound of her choked sobs. "Oh, Lexi. Sweetheart, it's okay. I'm here, don't cry. Steve and I are here for you."

"Lexi, darling, there's nothing to be sad about. We're here for you." Steve added, moving a stray lock of hair from her face.

"Yeah, you've always got us as friends. Screw those kids at school."

"Bucky, language."

"Sorry."

Lexi attempted to stop her tears, wiping the salty residue on her cheeks away with the sleeve of her sweater. "You guys mean it?" she whispered, her voice weak from misuse.

Her Uncle and his friend nodded. "You bet ya, kiddo." Steve nudged her playfully with his elbow.

"Yeah," added Bucky. "we're 'with you to the end of the line'." he smiled down at her. "Come on," he stood up, offering a helping hand to her. "let's call your Dad and tell him where you are, he's probably wonderin' why you're not home from school."

Steve rose too. "I'll do it." he offered. "Why don't you go and make Lexi something to eat. I'm pretty sure I saw a box of Pop Tarts in the cupboard."

Bucky grinned. "Sounds good to me."

Lexi looked up at her extended family members and managed a small smile. "I think that sounds okay."

And it was at that moment, Lexi always knew that she would have her family to depend on.

Everybody knows it hurts to grow up and everybody does
It's so weird to be back here, let me tell you what
The years go on and we're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
Oh, we're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
And you're so much like me, I'm sorry

A/N: HELLO ALL!!! @slytherin_queen12, I am having some Writer's Block issues with your final request. Don't worry, I shall write it at a later time, it is still on my list. In the mean time, feel free to request more imagines. I am enjoying writing them! :)

QUESTION OF THE DAY: IF YOU NEEDED ANY ADVICE FROM AN AVENGER, WHO WOULD IT BE AND WHAT ABOUT?

Me: Thor, I have to ask, where have all my Pop Tarts gone?