Awkward Fanfiction

A/N: Whoa, 14,000 views, where did you come from?! Thank you all so much! This is amazing and totally unexpected. I am just so amazed that what was supposed to be a one shot has become such a loved story. You all truly are amazing. Thank you so much for your continued support. I hope that you enjoy the future chapters as much as the past ones. I have a major surprise in store but more about that later. On a more seriously note, please do send in your Bucky one shot ideas to me as I am so enjoying incorporating them into the current story line! Now, let us continue with the plot at hand. This is a continuation of Valerian's fanfic, starring Cadence-Ann.

Dedicated to @Goddess_of_Winter

@VallyStan

"He's not breathing right, Steve."

"He has to!"

"Steve."

"No, Stark, I can't give up on him, not again. Buckys like a cat, he has nine f***ing lives!"

"Give it up, Rogers, at the rate he's going, he's not gonna make it through the night."

"There has to be something we can do?!"

"I've tried everything, you know I have but his lungs are too badly infected by the smoke. His body can't fight off the infection in his left arm, let alone battle against dying lungs."

Steve Rogers a.k.a. Captain America stared at the failing body of his friend, James Buchanan Barnes. Hurt and anger evident on his features, Steve cursed himself for not getting to his friend in time. How could he have failed Bucky again? First the fall, now this. Couldn't he just have at least one person in his life that didn't die or be seriously injured. Sometimes being a superhero really sucked. "What if you remove the arm?"

"The arm?"

"I saw you do it once back at the main base, there was a guy, 'Phil' I think he was called- the twenty year old who had lost a huge part of his spine- Howard, I saw how you built a new spine for him out of metal. I saw how you did a forty hour procedure on him and the guy lived! You rebuilt him a spine that allowed the guy to walk again, surely you could do that for Bucky?"

"I'm up against the clock here, Steve. Phil was different, he wasn't at death's door. We don't even know how long your friend has."

"Please, Howard. Just at least try. What have you got to lose?"

"Your sanity."

"Apart from that?"

"My limbs when you rip me apart 'cause of the grief."

"That's not likely to happen."

"His mustache, because you'll no doubt shave it off, Steve." a new voice intervened.

Steve stared at the door of the room, there was his best friend's girl, Cadence-Ann. She had been in the fire with Bucky, she had inhaled the same amount of smoke, luckily she had survived. Steve was so glad that at least one of them had working lungs, he wasn't sure if his heart couple have managed multiple deaths.

"Hey, I didn't know you were up."

"I could hear you guys arguing, so I decided it was probably for the best I got up."

"I'm sorry if we disturbed you."

She walked further into the room until she was by Bucky's side, opposite Steve Rogers and Howard Stark. "I couldn't sleep knowing that he was lying in this state."

She looked exhausted, deep cirles indented under her eyes in a bruised shade of purple. Caddie looked as stressed as Steve felt. He could tell that she was wishing that it was her in Bucky's place. The poor girl.