Chapter 10

Avatia's POV.

I heard the door bell and looked at the grandpa clock above the doorpost. Its exactly 15 minutes. Is this man some sort of perfect alien? He's so time cautious. I looked down at my extra large T-shirt with a hamburger picture on it and shrugged. Its not like I'm trying to impress him. I walked to the door and opened it.

"What do you want from me?" I asked with all the courage left in my heart.

He didn't say a word, instead, he pushed passed me and made his way into my house. Such a brute.

I folded my arms over my chest and repeated my question. He seemed to be staring at my boobs. Huh? And a pervert too.

He ran his large fingers through his hair making him look sexier than usual. "I want you."

I almost choked on my own spit. "What?" My inner girl was screaming like crazy.....

"I want you to come back and work for me." He sounded like he was struggling. Like this was a very difficult situation for him.

This man. So impolite. He couldn't even apologize or say please. "Uh... Mr. Black, there's this word called 'sorry', and you say it when you wrong someone." I pointed it out to him. Who does he think he is?

He glared at me and I could see the wheels turning in his brain. Guess no one ever spoke to him like that. I was expecting him to vomit out one of those rude words which always came out of his mouth, instead, he looked at me calmly. "I don't apologize to people." He said, shrugging.

The nerve of this guy. "Then have it your way, mister. With or without your apology, I'm not working for you." I retorted and walked over to the couch I had been sitting on all day.

"Why are you this stubborn?" He asked irritatedly like I was some crazy kid.

I  stood up and walked over to the kitchen to let him know I didn't care about what he said. I poured myself some grape juice and walked back to the sitting room. I sat on the couch still ignoring him. We were like that for about 4-5 minutes when he called my attention.

"Avatia.... " he trailed off but stopped and looked at me. "I'm sorry." He said it with so much difficulty that I was scared. It looked like he'd never said the word before. "Come work for me, will you? "

O. M. G!!!!!!

Did the famous Dreidan Vaughn just apologize or was I hallucinating?

"Will you?" He repeated.

God knows I was gonna refuse but I just nodded like a little kid, looking at him dumbstruck.

*******

Okay. So its been 3 days since I started again. Everything wasn't okay. I didn't see Mr. Black when I came here and Leo just wouldn't tell me where he was. Draya and Kenny freaked out when I told them of the scene at my apartment. When I say freaked out, I mean it. They didn't believe me at first. What was with him saying sorry anyways? Isn't that a normal thing to say? And now, Leo was equally freaking out as I told him why I started working here again.

"Its never been heard of that Vaughn apologized to anyone before, Avatia. I mean it. Anyone." Leo who had stopped drinking his beer kept on saying as I was cleaning up the mess I had made.

I'd been working on this painting of Mr. Black's house for 3 days straight. It was so complicated. I just hope he'd appreciate it.

"Well believe it or not, he said he was sorry." I told Leo nonchalantly. They were all making a big deal out of nothing. "Where did you say Mr. Black went to anyways? "

Leo shrugged off my question like he didn't know anything. "You're something else, Ava, you're special. First, he brings you home. Never been heard of before. Second, he gives you your own room. Third, he calls you, visits you, and apologizes. Damn girl, you got him right in the balls." Leo said. I'd have been surprised if he didn't say something inappropriate.

I looked at him, shocked. "So he's never apologized to anyone before? "

Leo shook his head. "Never. Ask around. That guy's a cold bastard, and for him to take a bold step and apologize, you must mean something to him. "

*****

Leo's words got me thinking for a couple of hours after I got home. Why did I have to get involved with a guy like Dreidan Vaughn?

"Sweetie who owns this?" Mom asked from the sitting room. I walked out with a bottle of orange juice. She was holding a gold card. It looked extremely expensive from this angle. I walked over to her and took it.

My mind froze. The name on it was my boss's name. "Uhh, it's Kenny's. I'd just give it to him when I see him." I lied. God. I've been lying a lot since I ran into that guy.

"Oh.. Okay. I was just wondering. It looks so expensive." She said. I just smiled and ran up to my room.

I climbed into bed and got a close look at the card. DREIDAN MOCHINO VAUGHN. Hmm, his name sounded so foreign. MOCHINO. Then something else caught my eyes. Illusion. I had been here for a short time but it was enough to know this wasn't just a club in NY. It was the biggest club. And the deadliest according to the headlines and magazines. He was the owner of such a club? That meant one thing. That he dealt with drugs and guns. Then it hit me. That's why he was feared so badly. He really was dangerous. Oh my God. I was freaking out now. Oh my goodness. Mr. Black was indeed dangerous. I never knew it was to this extent.

I picked up my phone and dialled Draya's number. She picked up after two rings. "Hi there best friend." She sounded so excited.

"Dray I just discovered something. Can we meet up?" I asked with a shaky voice.

"Ava, are you okay?" I knew she sensed my discomfort. "You can come over to my place. My brother's not home."

What would mom do if she found out that I was working for a dangerous man who dealt with drugs and weapons? If he owned Illusion, then it only meant one thing. He was part of the mafia. "I just discovered something Dray. Mr. B-Black, he-he-he's the owner of illusion. He's dangerous." I stuttered.

Draya took in a deep breath. "That's what I've been trying to tell you Ava, Dreidan Vaughn is not good for you."

"But you never told me to what extent." I said back, still shaken up by my new discovery.

Draya sighed. "This is news to me too, Ava. I only knew he was dangerous from different rumors. But being the owner of Illusion? Damn girl. This is news."

I rolled my eyes. "You're not helping out right now. You know what, I need sometime to think about this." I said. "I'll come see you later in the evening."

"Okay girl, I'll be waiting."

_____________________________________

Keep voting, commenting and loving.

Love,
Thelma❤️