Chapter 64

WRITER'S POV

"I know, mama. I pray everyday that our little girl gets better. She doesn't call me mommy again. I know that even if she's here physically, and tries hard to fit in, she still hasn't accepted us. She does not know us. The real us. I always wonder what is going through her mind. Is she hurt? Does she feel unloved? I love my daughter, mama, I really do." Grace cried out through the phone. Of course, she had a phone. She just never used it in the presence of anyone, and she used it only when she was behind closed doors.

Her 62 years old mother whom she always spoke to felt so bad. "I'm sorry, Gracey, this is hard for me too. Kim is my grandchild and this is very disturbing news. What if she never remembers me? Or all the good times we shared? My oh my, I may have a heart attack."

"Please don't say that mom. As it is, I'm already having a hard time with my daughter. I don't want you adding to it." Grace said sadly as she wiped the tears that had rolled down her cheeks. "I just want my daughter to remember me."

Marietta, Grace's mother spoke up next. "Why don't you bring her back. Come back to Ohio. Bring her home. Bring her to the people who love her instead of keeping her far away. Or take her back to Manhattan. Whatever you think you're doing is clearly not helping her out, Gracey." The old woman reasoned.

"But mama..."

"Gracey dear, I've raised you all your life. I've been with you every step of the way. Have I ever given you wrong advice? Or something that's not gonna help you?"

Grace shook her head even though she knew her mother would not see her.

"Take this from me. Bring back Kim. Bring back my grandchild. Bring her back to me. Forget about all these hospital protocol. It's not helping her. As a state nurse, you know that you have to go back to work. This is America honey, you've got to work to survive. For how long will you continue to stay in a place with no progress? You might soon run out of cash and loose your job at the same time." Marietta told her sternly. "I'll fly to Manhattan next week. I'll take care of my baby girl. And you go back to work. It's not up for debate."

"But mama that Dreidan Vaughn is there. The man who got my baby into this mess. I can't take her back." Grace said as she shook her head in denial, again, knowing her mother would not see it.

Marietta, who was a strict but very loving mother could not control herself. "Bullshit Grace. Are you a chicken? You're her mother. You set the rules. Did I ever teach you to run away from your problems? You face them. You're the boss of your life. You don't run away from a young man, holding your daughters progress for nothing. That's selfish of you. Maybe that's why Kim is not getting any better. Your child is not getting any better because of your selfishness!"

"Mama...."

"Don't mama me, Grace. So that's the real reason why you've been keeping Avatia away. If you're afraid to deal with the Dreidan guy whatever, bring back my baby and leave the rest to me. I'm gonna handle the rest. Have I made myself clear?" Marietta said angrily. All this while, she could not believe her daughter was keeping her grandchild far away because of a man. She'd been thinking it was for medical help. Not knowing the real reason. Oh, old Marietta was that kind of grandma. The no nonsense kind of grandma.

Grace who felt ashamed after hearing her mother's words had no other choice. She knew she could not go against her mother's words. Plus when her mother said something, that was how it was going to be. "Fine mama, I'll talk to the doctors and all. We'll be coming home."

Marietta forced a smile. "Good girl. Now, your super mama would be on her way too. See you soon Gracey."

***