Chapter 18

Avatia's POV

"Arghhhh" I heard a male shriek which interrupted my sad sleep. I woke up letting my eyes adjust to the bright lights. Oh, it was just Kenny. And another guy which I presume is his boyfriend. Yeah, I keep forgetting he's gay. "How did you get in here Ava? I locked this door."

I rolled my eyes. "Didn't YOU tell me you keep your keys underneath your rug in case I ever need it?" I reminded him.

"Oh, I forgot. You look like a mess. You've been crying, right?" He asked coming to sit by me on the couch. He wrapped his big arms round my tiny frame. "What happened sweetie?"

A tear slipped out. Followed by another, then another and more. Have you ever been super excited to meet someone you know deep down in your heart you feel something for? And when you finally see him, he's with another woman. Obviously the one he loves. If you know how this feels, then you know how I feel right now.

More tears.

More and more tears.

And to top it all, they spoke about me right in front of me.

"Ava talk to me. Right now you're scaring us." Kenny said referring to himself and his partner.

I don't know how long I cried but I know it was very long since Kenny's partner offered me a cup of warm milk. "Here, drink some, it's gonna help calm your body."

I took the milk and drank all without stopping. "He's in love with someone else." I blurted out.

"I knew your crying had something to do with a man." Kenny's friend said like he just solved a puzzle which earned him a kick from Kenny. "C'mon Kenny, I'm just being honest."

Kenny gave him a warning look and he raised his arms in mock surrender. "Tell me everything."

I didn't want to share my problems with Kenny in front of a total stranger so I walked out of the sitting room to Kenny's room. He'd get the hint. I know.

And he got it soon enough since he appeared in the room a few minutes later. "Michael's gone. Now can you talk, you're scaring me."

I told him everything. Nothing left behind. Even about the fact that I know they wouldn't even touch the food I cooked.

"But you know it's good they don't eat your food, right?" He asked and I looked at him, lost. Why would he say that? "Cause you're a bad cook." He concluded and I spanked his head.

This cousin of mine. He was making fun of me even though he was the one who told me to cook and after he knows I had online cooking classes for a week. "I'm sorry. Can't you take a joke?"

I rolled my eyes and stuck out my tongue. "Whatever."

"So what do you plan on doing?" Kenny asked.

I sighed. I know I was over reacting but my emotions are bruised. "I'm quitting."

"You're what?" My cousin asked, eyes as wide as saucers.

I nodded. "It's the right thing to do. I should rather concentrate on my books since I'm gonna start school in a bit. All of this is wrong. Lying to mom, working for a dangerous man, feeling something strange for him. I mean it's all wrong. This shouldn't be. I should just have listened to mom when she said shouldn't work. Plus you and Draya never liked me working for him from the onset. So I'm quitting."

He faced palmed. "Or maybe you're just jealous that he came home with a hot lady."

I rolled my eyes again.

"Stop rolling those eyes at me. I'm still five years older than you." He was right. That was a disrespectful act but I'm not jealous.

I stood up from the bed. It's already late, I should head home. "I need to think about all this. It's too much. But one thing I know for a fact is I'm not working for him again." I walked to the door and stopped. "By the way, he's a hunk."

Kenny looked at me, confusion evident in his mind. "Who? Mr. Vaughn?"

"No dumb head, Mike, or is it Michael."

He smiled. "Don't you think I know already. I always get the best."

I rolled my eyes at his silliness. "Yeah right, conceited pig." And with that, I walked out.

I felt better talking to Kenny. Even though I didn't get any advice or sort, I just felt relieved talking to him. I hailed a cab which took me home. There was a fancy sports car parked outside. Who could that be? It couldn't possibly be him. Maybe it's Mrs. Bernards son from England. Last time he came, there was a similar car like this parked outside so maybe it's him again.

I shrugged and walked in. What I saw made my eyes pop out.

It wasn't Mrs. Bernard's son. No. It was my very own boss.

What was he doing here? With mom? And they looked like they were having a good time. They were LAUGHING!

Maybe I was hallucinating. I rubbed my eyes and cleared my throat.

"Oh honey, you're home. I was just talking with your friend here. He said you guys exchanged house addresses. He was in the area and decided to stop by." Mom said excitedly. "He's so funny."

I couldn't believe my eyes. That's what he told my mom? "No mom, we're n----"

"Oh Ava, you look more beautiful than the last time we met." Did my boss just compliment me?

Don't fool yourself. He's just trying to act all cool in front of your mom.

And it worked cause mom blushed. "He's quite the charmer too. I'd leave you two now." Mom said standing up and walking towards the kitchen.

Once she was gone, I faced the beast himself. "What do you want here? What did you tell my mom?"

He smirked. "Relax, I didn't let your secret slip out. Leo said you left in a hurry and you looked sick so I decided to stop and check on you. Just like your mom told you." He said smoothly with his hands in his pocket.

"Is your girlfriend aware of the fact that you're here?" I asked. I needed to know.

He looked confused, but he shrugged it off. "Are you alright?"

I knew it. His girlfriend had no idea he was here. "Yes I am. Now leave. And as for the record, I quit. I'm no longer working for you."

He looked me from head to toe as if I just grew a second head. "What do you mean?"

"What I mean is, I quit. That's what I should have done a long time ago."

He shook his head in denial.

"You can't stop me from quitting." I told him.

He shook his head again. "No. You can't quit, cause you're in already. You need me for protection. You are in danger, and so is your mom. So you can't. I can't force you to trust me, but I'm telling you now. Trust me. Just this once." He said and my heart fell into my tummy. "You need my protection. You need mafia protection."

Danger?

Me?

Mom?

How?

Why?

______________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Pls vote and comment.

Love,
Thelma ❤️