Chapter 23

AVATIA'S POV

Ana showed me my room and it was just as beautiful as the rest of the house. It had a Californian king sized bed over flowing with pillows and silky sheets. The white and gold coloured room just made me wish I could stay here for ever but I knew I had to find mom. The room smelled rich with it's thick fur carpet and I also noticed that there were two doors. I guess one led to the toilet and the other, maybe a closet. Ana excused herself to go make breakfast meanwhile I searched for any simple dress I could wear. I picked out a white crop top and sky blue skirt.

 I picked out a white crop top and sky blue skirt

Then I walked towards the doors. Apparently I guessed well cause it was a bathroom. Not any kind of bathroom might I add, it was super classic. It had the same colour as the room, white and gold. It looked like one of those bathrooms you found only in five star hotels.

 It looked like one of those bathrooms you found only in five star hotels

It was already stocked with the right necessities. I could eat in here for crying out loud. And that bath tub, images of me lying there flooded my mind. I took my time enjoying the bathroom while I washed myself clean. When I was done, I followed a clear path and realized it led to a closet. Could my room get any better. I felt like a princess. I dressed up and went downstairs, following the smell of bacon and eggs till I reached the kitchen. Ana was making breakfast.

She turned when she noticed my presence. "Hi. You look way too beautiful in that outfit. I'm sorry if I talk a lot by the way. I know you're probably jet lagged so I'll wait till you've rested enough before bombarding you with questions."

I giggled. Ana just had that free spirit that could melt away any form of anger. "Okay ma'am." I said playfully. Where was he anyways? My mind just couldn't stop thinking about him.

Ana served me some food and after thanking her, I sat on the table in the kitchen ready to eat when he walked in. Think of the devil and he appears. Ha! He spoke in Italian to Ana and I noticed she placed another plate of food on the table and went out. I gulped. Looks like I'll be having breakfast with the boss himself. He sat quietly across me and was about to start eating when I stopped him.

"Uhh..... don't you pray before eating? Like graces?" I asked nervously. I mean it was rude to start eating without appreciating God first.

He gave me an expressionless look again. I noticed that he'd been giving me that look lately. I thought he wouldn't answer so I just went ahead and said my grace.

I was just about to dig in when he spoke up. "There's no God."

My eyes almost popped out. "Don't ever say that. There's a God and he loves us."

I took a bite of my bacon and moaned. It tasted so well. Strangely well since it really didn't look like the one my mom usually made. I could feel his eyes on me and I swallowed my food looking up at him again. "I don't know why you're looking at me like this, but I'm not going to take back what I said. There's a God and he loves us." I deadpanned and continued with my food. From the corner of my eye, I noticed he didn't touch his food.

"Even if there's a God, he's dead to me." He said and stood up leaving me speechless. Was he a devil or what?

He didn't even touch his food. Maybe I should have just kept my questions to myself, that way, he would have eaten his food. I always ruin his mood somehow and I felt guilty.

***

When I was done with my breakfast, I washed my plate and went straight to my room. I couldn't sleep. There was my mom, then college/graduation, then Draya who would be very disappointed to find out I left, then Kenny and finally my boss. Most of my thoughts were centred on him though. There had to be something wrong with him. Something that made his heart as cold as ice. Something that completely broke him. I had to find out.

I don't even know when sleep over took me, I just woke up. Must have been exhausted from the unexpected trip.

Stretching a little, I decided to go look for Ana. I found her in the kitchen. "Hi Ana."

She beamed at me. "You're up already. How are you enjoying Italy?"

I smiled back at her. "Italy's nice Ana." I noticed she was using mineral water instead of water from the faucet. "What's up with cooking with bottled water? Is the faucet bad or something?"

She looked at me and burst out laughing. "Didn't I tell you the boss is a neat freak, he doesn't eat food that's not made with mineral water. From what I heard, you worked for him back in N.Y., how come you do not know that?"

I stared at her, completely shocked. My mind then went back to all those hundreds of bottles in the storage room. I always just thought it was because he loved drinking water. "First you clean his house everyday even when there's no one living in it, then you cook his food only with bottled water, what else is there that I do not know?"

She laughed again. "Mr. Vaughn is a mystery, you can never know everything about him."

Even though I couldn't stop thinking about him, I changed topic. "So what are you cooking?"

"Carbonara." She told me. "It's ready already. Please be a darling and go call for that hunk of a boss."

I giggled. "Okay. Where's his room?"

"Last room upstairs with the double doors." She said and I walked out of the kitchen. I followed her directions and when I reached there, I knocked but no one answered. I knocked again but still no answer. I even tried to open it but it wouldn't open. I gave up and went back to the kitchen.

"It looks like he's gone out. I've been knocking and there was no respond." I said nonchalantly.

Ana gave me a strange look like she just remembered something. "Oh, I'm sorry for stressing you out. He's probably in her room as usual." She said sadly.

"Who's room?" I asked curiously.

Ana seemed to be thinking hard then she turned to me. "Nevaeh's room." She answered as if it pained her to say the name.

"Nevaeh?" I asked. Could she be the 'her' I always heard Mr. Black talk about? "Who's she?"

"It's Dreidan's place to tell you. Not me. But if you must know, she was the best thing that ever happened to him." She said quietly.

I ignored the fact that she just called him Dreidan instead of the usual 'my boss', and dwelled more on Nevaeh.

And how does Ana know her?

____________________________________

Thanks for reading guys.

Love,
Thelma❤️