Chapter 11

AVATIA'S POV

As soon as I stepped out of the cab, I ran up to Draya's house and into her room. She was using her phone and put it down as soon as she saw me.

"Dray." I said as she hugged me. "I really don't know what to do."

"Shhh.... Sweetie its gonna be alright. Come on, sit down." Draya said as she smoothened my hair. "Look at me, you're not supposed to freak out."

Huh? Was she for real? I looked up at her. "What do you mean?"

She took in a deep breath. "What I mean is, you have to act normal. You shouldn't let him know that you know he's dangerous. It's obvious the guy won't hurt you cause if he had intentions of doing so, he'd have done it a long time ago. Clearly he's seeing the goodness in you." She paused for me to take that in, but  that wasn't what I needed to hear. "If you act as if you know he's dangerous, he might consider you a threat so its better if you act as if nothing happened."

"How's that possible?" I asked trying to digest what she said.

Draya scoffed. "Just keep painting for him. Act normal, okay?"

I slowly nodded, knowing that will be very difficult.

*****

The next day, as I stepped into the mansion, I could feel the air was more tense. There was a strange smell in the air. I walked to the kitchen to meet Leo whipping up some egg.

"Hi sweetheart." He greeted me as he saw me. Leo was always a bubbly person.

I smiled back at him. "Good morning, Leo."

He frowned a little. "Call me honey next time. Sweetheart goes well with honey, not Leo." He said as he handed me a glass of orange juice and winked.

I burst into a fit of laughter. This guy was something else. "Thanks. By the way, what's that strange smell I'm getting?"

He looked at me in disbelief. "Seriously? You don't know the boss is back?"

I shivered slightly. Not from cold, but from fear. He was here. "Okay, but there's a strange smell around here."

Leo sniffed like a weirdo. "I can't believe you don't know that that's weed...and cocaine. But it's not the coke you're smelling cause coke has no smell." He said as he shrugged.

I choked on my juice. He said it like it was the most normal thing ever. "Co-what?" My goodness, he really was the owner of Illusion and the rumors were true. He really dealt with drugs.

"Caine. You should grow up sweetheart. This world of ours isn't heaven where bad things are forbidden. We're in New fucking York and this shit is normal." Leo shrugged. "By the way, I was making this egg specially for you. So here you go."

"No Leo, taking drugs isn't normal." I told him seriously as I stopped coughing.

Leo pulled out another seat. "I honesty don't know why he brought you here. This isn't your kind of world.  You still have a lot to learn."

I was becoming more and more scared of all this. "Who's taking drugs?" I asked to actually confirm what I already knew.

"Who else? Its Vaughn. But he's not alone right now. He's got company, that's why the smell is pungent."

"He-he-he's not alone?" I stuttered.

"You should go and continue with your painting, sweetie." He said and walked to the door. But stopped. "And for the record, your paintings are breath taking." Then he walked out.

What have I gotten myself into?

*****

I knew I was spoiling my painting due to lack of concentration. Thoughts of Mr Black consumed me. But Draya's words kept ringing in my head. "Act normal."

"Can see you're painting my house and it looks so good."

I almost jumped out of fright. He was here. I slowly turned around and I held my breath. This man was drop dead gorgeous even though he looked worn out. His eyes were so red. "Mr. Black."

He literally face palmed. "Just call me Dre. I prefer that to that stupid name you call me. I'm not even black for fucks sake."

"Huh?" Wasn't that too personal? "But Mr.... "

He raised his perfectly carved brows. "Do you want to argue with your boss?"

I shook my head and scrunched my nose as he came closer to me.

"How are you? How were things going? I mean while I was away." He asked as he smoothened my hair.

I gulped. Was Draya, Kenny and Leo right? Did he really feel something for me? "I've been good, thank you."

He never said anything and we stood in comfortable silence. "You're different, princess."

That was it. My heart was melting. I missed hearing him call me princess. I wanted to deny the fact that I missed him, but it was impossible. "I'm different?" My stupid mouth asked before I could stay quiet.

He smirked down at me. Dear God I missed his smirked. "Yes, you're totally different from the women in my life. I'm clueless as to why I brought you here, but what I do know is that I can't let you leave."

Oh my good God, he's going to kill me. Draya was right, if he found out that I knew he was dangerous, he was going to kill me. "Why are you doing this?" I asked before I could stop myself.

He looked at me as if waiting for me to continue.

Might as well just finish what I started. I'll take my chances. He would only kill me but I must free my mind. I can't act normal by him no matter how hard I try.

"Doing what?" He asked with raised brows.

Here goes nothing, I thought to myself. "Taking care of me. Being this nice to me. I know you're the owner of illusion and that you take drugs. Are you going to hurt me?"

He looked somewhat confused, then he ran his fingers through his hair.

"Are you?" To be completely honest, I didn't know where I got this kind of courage from. Talking to him like I was talking to any random guy.

"I don't know where all this is coming from but some questions are best left unanswered, princess." He said as he planted a kiss on my forehead and walked out.

I don't know if it was the kiss or his words that made me weak. But I'm a hundred percent sure it was the kiss. This was the first time he showed any form of endearment to me. The very first time. And it felt so right.

And if his kiss on my forehead felt so right when I knew he was part of the mafia, then maybe I was going insane.

*****

I sat down and watched my best friends talk about some random TV show but I'm not exactly sure if I was even hearing them. My mind kept on reminding me of Mr Black. First, he wants me to call him Dre, then he kisses me. I know it was just on my forehead but still. Does he really have feelings?

"Ava are you even listening to us?" I hear both my friends ask.

I look up at them and say the one thing that comes to my mind. "I think Mr Black likes me."

_________________________________________›

Hey guys, please do check out my other books. "For the Love of Dahlia", "The Seductress", "Riley's Request" and "Trapped with her wish."

Love,
Thelma❤️