140

^listen on quiet while reading

Harry Styles

They say your life flashes before your eyes when you're about to die. And I never really believed it until the moment that I was thrown over the bridge of the steepest drop into the most rapid currented water. I always thought people just said you get these flashes for a good ending montage in a traumatic romance movie. Movies and cliche books made people believe that you get to see a little slideshow of the best moments of your life right before you hit total oblivion, and I always swore it was all bullshit.

But then I got to see my slideshow.

And it was all Amelia.

As I was falling into what felt like my death, my mind started playing little moments in my life that were all of Amelia. They were moments that I didn't realize meant so much to me until I got to replay them perfectly in my mind during this compacted moment.

The little clips shuffled through my mind like an old VHS movie. The quality was grainy and shaky, but still clear to what every moment was.

I saw her swaying her hips to music while making food in the kitchen. I saw her sitting at her drawing desk, looking up at me with a small smile as she caught me staring. I saw her squirm on the bed while I'd tickle her sides. I saw her in my arms, asleep as I ran my fingers through her hair. I saw her sitting perched on her knees in the grass, holding a wounded bird in her hand and looking up at me with a compassionate smile. I saw her placing ice against my bruises on my face with a loving but worried look in her eyes. I saw her hand interlocked in mine while we walked through the forest. I saw her sitting on my lap in the drivers seat as she watched the road intently when driving for the first time. I saw her straddling my chest with eyedrops in her hand, forcing me to take them for my health. I saw her walking down the stairs in that beautiful black dress. I saw her running into my arms as we collapsed in the pouring rain. I saw her laying on my office couch, reading my favourite book with her lip between her teeth.

I saw it all.

She was my slideshow, simply because she was my life.

When I smacked hard into the freezing water, I felt my wind be taken from my lungs. I shot deep into the water, the pressure density getting more compacted the further down I went.

The current immediately dragged me fast through the water as I tried to swim to the surface but between the rapid tide I was getting spun around with no sense of what was up and down.

When my back slammed into a giant rock, that's when I felt the blurriness in my vision and it getting harder to hold my breath. I pinched my eyes shut and yelled out in pain into the water, no sound being heard but the bubbles escaping between my clenched teeth. The water devoured me while more and more flashes of memory went through my head as I fought to hold my breath.

"Will you still love me in the morning?"  Her faint voice whispers up to me.

I tried to swim into the light that gave me a sense of it being the surface but the more rocks I slammed into, the more weak I became. The freezing spring water made my bones start to become numb.

"You were yelling like you're having a terrible nightmare." She rubbed my chest and looked down at me with loving eyes to sooth me.

I tried to grasp onto anything to push myself up to get to the surface, but I was flying way too fast.

"I wished you loved yourself as much as I loved you." She whispers to me, tears welling her beautiful brown eyes.

Another hard hit to a boulder deep within the current took whatever breath I had left away- letting the water fill my lungs. I spun around uncontrollably in the dark blue water, my vision going more blurry and my body shutting down from lack of oxygen. My mind starts to fade out into blackness with the last mere image of my life.