ten

"Nova! Are you coming with?", I hear Geoff ask as I walk in the bus.

"Yup.", I smile.

They all throw on coats and we walk outside.

"Okay, the pizza shop is right down the street so I don't think we'll have a problem. That would be embarrassing.", Geoff says looking at his phone.

"Have you met us?", Otto asks, "It will be a problem."

We walk down the street, almost getting lost because Geoff wanted to turn, and find the 24 hr pizza shop.

The door rings as we walk in.
"Hello, how can I help you?", a guy behind the counter asks.
His name tag says Brian.

"Hi, can we have a medium pizza with extra cheese, one chicken and fries, and one-", Geoff stops waiting for me to tell him what I want.

"Fried pickles and a sweet tea."

Brian repeats our order making sure it's correct and begins to make it.
We all sit down at a table and begin to talk.

"Alright, who's paying tonight?", Otto asks.

"Rock, Paper, Scissors?", Awsten asks.

The two agree and put their fists in the middle of the table.

"Rock, Paper, Scissors, Shoot!", Awsten chose paper, Otto chose scissors, and Geoff chose paper.

"Between you two, go!", otto says.

"Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!"
Awsten chose rock, geoff chose paper.

"Dammit.", Awsten says as the two laugh.

About 10 minutes later, Brian calls our number to pick up the food.
I beat everyone to the counter and pay for the food.

"Nova! What are you doing?", Awsten asks.

"Paying.", I smile and grab the food.

I ignore their protests and we walk back to their bus.

"Can I go to one of your bunks really quick? I need to make a phone call.", I ask as they start to set up the game.

"Yeah, mine is the top one on your right as soon as you walk in.", Awsten says.

I quickly thank him and close the curtain.

While we were walking home I noticed my friend from back home, Chris, kept texting me.

To: chris🍁
hey, what's up? I didn't see your texts.

From: chris🍁
the boys told me you're almost back in town on that tour

To: chris🍁
depends what you want

From: chris🍁
come to the party. you always happen to be home around the annual party.

To: chris🍁
why?

From: chris🍁
call me.

I sigh and press call.

"Why do you want me there?", I ask.
He never wants anything good.

"Because we all miss you, babe.", he says causing me to cringe at the nickname.

"Who's we?"

"Me of course, Meg, Rae, and Blake.", he names my old group of friends.

"Look, I appreciate everything you guys did for me in high school but I'm not like that anymore. I have my shit together and I have something good going for me.", I explain.

"We've changed too, babe. We just wanna see you, is that too much to ask?", he pleads.

"Fine. But I'm bringing someone with."

"Who?", he asks.

"Probably Alex or Jack. Who knows, maybe a whole group would want to go. Guess we'll see."

"Alright. Talk to you later beautiful.", he says as I hang up.

I don't wanna meet up with them.

Tomorrow we'll be in my hometown. The very place I went through my phases, the most recent being my rebellious phase. During 9th grade I met a group of friends. Chris, Megan, Blake, and Rae. We became really close because we were all in similar positions, as my dad just died.
We did a lot of stuff together.
We sat on roof tops, dangling our feet over the edge, we jump on moving trains and off of them, we spray painted on buildings, and we egged peoples houses.
The group was a bad influence on me.
Not that I wasn't willing to do any of that, but when I graduated they wanted to continue doing reckless stuff while I wanted to grow up.

But I guess it won't hurt to see if they actually changed.

I take a quick look at Awsten's bunk.
It smells like mint.

Once I go back into the main room I see the three boys huddled together playing Mario kart.

I sit down next to Awsten and watch them play and laugh every time Awsten fails.
Then I play a couple rounds, I win twice against Awsten, lose twice to Geoff, and it's half and half between Otto and I.

After playing video games, it's midnight.

"The buses leave in an hour.", Awsten says.

"Trying to get rid of me?", I joke.

"No, just making sure you know so you don't get into trouble."

"I don't wanna.", i say.

"Why?"

"I don't know. I love the guys so much and it has nothing to do with them. It's just, y'all are a change for once. It usually just me on a bus with them all the time, which is great, but this is new.", I shrug. I probably sound stupid.

Awsten tries to hide a smirk, "You should sleep over."

"You don't have to do that."

"I want you to."

I slightly blush but thankfully the dim lights hide it.

"Okay, I'll ask.", I dial the manger's number.

"Hey, Nova. What's up?", he asks.

"Can I talk to you about sleeping over on a different bus or do I have to talk to dick face?", I ask.

"I am capable of answering your questions.", he laughs.

"Great! Can I crash on Parx bus tonight? I'm so tired and ATL is partying and I won't be able to sleep.", I slightly lie.

"Yeah, just make sure that you're unpacking ATL's stuff on time."

"Thanks.", I hang up.

Then I call Alex, but he doesn't answer.

So Jack is next.

He answers immediately.

"Hey, Nov."

"Yo. Where's Alex?", I ask.

"He's passed out. He called Lisa and they fell asleep. Why, what's up?", he explains.

"Awe. I was calling to let y'all know that I'm gonna sleepover on Parx bus tonight. I told Dan that you guys were partying and I wouldn't be able to sleep. Cover for me?", I ask.

"Course.", I can basically hear him smile through the phone.

"Alrighty, thank you. I love you jack ass."

"Mhm. I love you too doll face. Goodnight.", he says clearly tired.

"Goodnight.", I hang up.