sixty four

After talking for a while, we decide to use our sound guy's car and go to the shelter to pick up the new bundle of joy.
Getting there has definitely been interesting.

"Go left!", Alex says and I begin to turn the wheel.
"No, go right!", Jack corrects him.

"I can only go two fucking ways, unless you'd like me to go upside down next. Pick one!", i say, annoyed that they can't read a map.
Otto, Geoff, Rian, and I don't have our phones because we aren't dependent on them like some people.
Cough cough Alex, Jack, Zach.

Those three idiots don't have maps on their phones and neither of them are picking up service. Honestly surprised they didn't go into cardiac arrest because they can't go on their phone.
Otto, being the cellphone independent guy he is, had a map with him that they had picked up yesterday on their way home.

"You have it upside down.", Otto speaks up from the back seat.
That's where Jack should be, but instead he's on top of the console trying to convince me that Alex is wrong.

I physically face palm, "Give otto the map."
Looking embarrassed, Jack passes it to Otto and he begins giving me correct directions.

"Go right."

After a less hectic car ride, we arrive at the shelter and I'm immediately excited to meet a little ray of sunshine.

"May I help you?", a guy walks over to us as we get out of the car.

"Hi, I was thinking about adopting a puppy. Is there any way you can show me the adoptable ones?", i ask nicely.

"That I can.", he smiles at me, "Right this way."
The worker leads us inside of the building and brings us down an isle of puppies and I can't help but gush over them.

"I want all of them.", i say, the other agree with me.
Alex speaks up, "We talked to a worker the other day and she gave us a list of puppies we could adopt with our criteria and I was wondering if we could meet the 4 month old Border Collie?"

"Yes of course, he's an angel. He is only a puppy so he isn't 100% on the name thing, his name is Brax, but if you would like to change it he's young enough to learn a different one.", he replies leading us to a room in the back with a couple chairs and a gate in the doorway.

"Okay, thank you so much.", I smile at him and sit down in a chair.

A couple minutes later he walks into the room holding the cutest puppy.
"Awh oh my god.", i say, sitting on the floor to play with Brax.

Jason, I saw his name tag, sits across from me on the floor and places Brax between us.
"Have you ever adopted before?", he asks.

While throwing a toy across the room for Brax to fetch, i say, "No, it's my first time adopting."

"Why did you decide to adopt?", he continues the conversation, which I'm grateful. It would be weird if it were completely silent in here.

"Actually I didn't really decide anything. My friends out there surprised me with the news earlier today.", I smile.

He returns the gesture, "Well I hope it was a good surprise."
"It definitely was. We're on a tour bus a lot, we actually have like 6 months left, and you're not really allowed to have pets on tour because everyone reacts different to them and it was super shocking for everyone to allow me to get a dog. I'm really happy."

"What do you guys do?"
"Two out of six of them are in an opening band and the rest are in the headlining band on a international tour. I'm the merch /crew/photographer/support/anything they need help with girl. I do a shit ton of work but I'm mostly on tour with them because we've been best friends forever.", I explain.

"Wow, that's sick. It must be hard to be away from family and friends that long."
"Uh, kinda. My little brother is on tour with us actually, and anytime we have off days I fly out and see my mom. And all of my friends are band members or someone along those lines so I see them a-", I cut myself off, "I'm rambling, sorry."

He chuckles, "it's cute, don't worry."
I feel a familiar heat rise to my cheeks.

"How much would it cost to adopt him?", I refer to the dog, "He's Absolutely perfect."
"Usually $300, but for you and only you, $235."

"You don't have to, I don't want to get you in trouble or anything.", I refuse.
"Don't sweat it, I'm the owner.", he helps me up from the floor and I pick up Brax.

"Thank you.", I send him a smile and he opens the door for me.

The group joins me at the counter and I hand him my credit card.
"How long are you guys here?", he asks.

"We leave at 2am tonight.", I frown.
"Does that mean I'm never going to see you again?"

"I can't tell the future, but I have a feeling you'll see me again."
He laughs and hands me back my card.

"I already can't wait."
"Cya later.", we go outside and pile into the car.

He runs out after me.
"Can I uh, have your number?"

I smile and Jack hands me a pen from the car, always prepared.
He holds out his wrist.
I laugh at him and write it down on his arm.

"Nova, hurry up, the puppy is eating my finger!", Rian calls out.
I jokingly roll my eyes and say, "Cya later, Jason."
"Cya later, Nova."

I get in the car and we drive away.

"Dude he was cute.", Jack says.
"I didn't know he was your type?", I question.

"He's not, but I'm not blind. I know a good looking dude when I see one, considering Alex is always with me."

"Jalex strikes again.", I chuckle.