fourteen

After an hour of playing board games and Jack complaining that he's bored, there's a knock on the door.
Alex gets up to get it and I want to crawl into the bathroom and hide.

"Hey, Alex.", i hear his familiar voice say.

"Chris? What do you want?", Alex asks coldly.

"To see an old friend, of course."

"Right. Now isn't the best time to show up.", Alex tries to make him go away.

"Don't be silly, it's always a good time to reconnect with some old friends."
God his voice makes me sick.
Everything he's saying seems so nice but just the way he says it, you can tell it's laced with venom.

Chris invites himself in and walks into the living room like he owns the place.

"Hey, Nova.", he says staring me directly in the eyes.

"Chris.", I acknowledge him.

"Jack! So nice to see you."

Jack grunts in response.

"Rian, what's up man?"

Rian gives a fake smile, you know it's fake because it didn't light up the room.

"And Mr tough guy! Hopefully you guys aren't still sore over what happened 2 years ago.", Chris says sitting down next to me.

"I wouldn't have a problem with you if you would just stop touching Nova or if you would stop talking like you're so fake.", Rian says causing me to snicker.

"Well, Nova doesn't seem to mind it. That kinda sounds like a personal problem, Rian.", Chris scoots closer to me.

"Alright. Here's my bubble.", i say creating a circle around me with arms, "The next time you're in it, I will punch your teeth out."

Chris puts his hand over his heart, "Guys I'm not feeling very welcome."

Awsten finally speaks up, "Dude, you walk into this house acting like it's yours, you're being a douche bag, you keep getting closer to Nova when she's clearly uncomfortable with it, and it's extremely obvious that you aren't welcome here, so why did you come?"

Chris ignores everything Awsten just said, "I don't believe we've met before. I'm Chris, Nova and I go back."

"You're claiming to be her friend but you're making her uncomfortable. Just leave her alone."

"Who even are you?", Chris asks clearly getting frustrated.

"I'm Awsten.", he states.

"Awsten as in Awsten Knight? The guy who everyone thinks would be cute with Nova?"

"That's the one.", Awsten says.

"Nova and I dated you know, it's not the walk in the park it seems. First she seems great and then you actually get to kn-", Alex cuts him off, "Enough. Get out."

"I'm just looking out for y'all."

"Chris, get out.", Jack says and Zach goes over to the door to open it for him.

When Chris and I dated my step dad went to jail and I was fucked up over everything that happened.
I wasn't the best girlfriend because he was verbally and sometimes physically abusive, I wasn't going to sit there and let him hit me, so I started yelling back, I started defending myself until he let me leave without killing me afterwards.

Chris puts his hands up in surrender and walks out, before Zach closes the door Chris says, "Not everyone in this room is as innocent as they seem."

I walk into the bathroom, not wanting to talk to anyone.
I knew something would happen.
And now everyone is probably annoyed with me.
Anytime things are getting better something bad happens.

My mind starts to battle with itself.

It's just the depression talking, everything is fine.
No it's not you idiot! Everyone hates you now! All you bring is drama. They would be better off without you.

Thats not true. ATL is my family, they know about my past and they accept me.
Maybe Alex, Jack, Rian, and Zach are okay with you now, but for how long? And I'm sure Awsten, otto, and geoff think you're the most annoying person on this planet. They have a day off and you drag them to your old house where your ex shows up. Awsten will never like you. They're all going to laugh at you as soon as you leave. They're probably doing it now.

"Leave me alone!", I slightly yell out loud accidentally.

"Nov, are you okay?", I hear Alex ask from outside the door.

I wipe my eyes and open the door.
With a fake smile I say, "Always am."

I walk back into the room and everyone stares at me. I can already imagine what they're thinking.

"Sorry about that, guys. I should've known he was going to show up and I shouldn't have dragged you here on your day off. I'm sorry.", I say trying to make my mind stop.

"It's perfectly okay. Today has been great minus the Chris thing and he's just an asshole. It's all good.", Awsten says, the rest agreeing with him.

"Alright it's getting a little late, if y'all wanna go to bed or something there's 2 guest rooms, Alex, Jack, Zach, or Rian one of you can sleep in my bed with me, there's 2 couches down here and I think there's a blow up bed in the closet. Blankets, pillows, and towels are all in the closet too, take whatever you want. Eat what you want out of the fridge, do whatever you want. My home is yours.", i say wanting the day to be over.

Everyone nods and gets their stuff and claims a room.

Jack and I are in my bed, Zach and Rian are sleeping on my futon, Alex is sleeping on my floor, Awsten and Geoff are sharing a bed and Otto is sleeping on the couch in that room.

"Why are you sleeping on the floor?", I ask Alex.

"Because I don't want to sleep in a room by myself I feel weird about it."

I sigh and turn over.
Jack pulls out his phone and goes on Twitter.
I watch the screen until I fall asleep.