sixty two

Everyone eats dinner, making small talk the entire time and laughing at Alex and I's terrible jokes.
Alex and I offer to help clean up the kitchen and get everything ready for dessert.

"Are you having fun?", he asks handing me dishes to dry.

"Yeah. I love your family.", I smile at him.

"That's good. Have you heard from Awsten?"

I shake my head, "Otto and Geoff texted me saying happy thanksgiving and stuff but nothing from Awsten."

He clenches his jaw, "I really want to throw a car at him."

I can't help but laugh at his poor threat. Alex is never one to resort to violence, he must be pissed at Awsten.

"It's whatever.", I shrug it off.

"It's really not, Nova. You don't deserve this."

I shrug and we continue washing and drying dishes.
Afterwards, we place berry pie on plates for everyone and bring the dishes out to the dining room table.

"So, Nova, how is everything with work going?", Alex's aunt, who I've only met twice, asks.

I smile at her curiosity, "Work has been amazing. With Alex and the other dorks, it's always so much fun and it's not super difficult to help set up or sell merch. And I've been doing a couple collabs with other creators for my clothing line, and the clothing line by itself has been great. I'm very thankful I get to have such amazing jobs."

She awes, "I'm glad everything is getting better for you."
The last time I saw his aunt was a couple years ago when my depression was really bad and my mom was going through a hard time.

I thank her and turn the focus on Alex's mom.
"How have you been?"

"I've been pretty good. I, of course, miss my kids but I'm hanging on.", she sends me a smile and I return it.

My phone goes off and Alex grabs it before I can.

"Now Alex, that's not nice. Give her the phone.", his mom scolds him causing me to laugh.
He holds it above his head, out of my reach.

"Alex!", I scold him.

He ignores me and reads the text. He gives me a sad smile and hands me my phone.

from; aws💓
hey uhm, I've been thinking and we should take a break. i'm sorry.

In this moment it feels like my life is over and I want to go home.
Alex stares at me, waiting for a reaction, but I don't give one.

"Is everything alright honey?", mrs. gaskarth asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I give her a fake smile, "Yeah, Sorry, my mom was just asking me about how my brothers school is going."

"How is he doing? I heard about what happened a little bit ago.", she changes the subject which I'm thankful for.

"He's doing a lot better. That house wasn't good and we got him out of there and being in your with people he considers family really helps."

"Awe that's great, honey."

Alex interrupts, "Nov can you help me put our things in the car?"