twenty two

A couple hours later i land in Pennsylvania.
As soon as my luggage is given to me, I run to a taxi.
During the ride I call Gray's friend to ask his address.
Once he tells me, I let the taxi driver know and about 20 minutes later he drops me off at the curb with my bags.

"Are you Nova?", a young woman walks out of the row home.

"Yeah.", i reply.

"I'm Jackson's mom, I'm so sorry.", she hugs me.

"Can I ask why he was staying with you? He never told me when we talked and before then we hadn't talked for a long time.", I ask.

"He told us everything that happened with your step dad. I guess they got into a huge fight because Grayson came out as gay and he kicked him out and we took him in. I knew he was having trouble but I didn't know he would try to do something.", she explains.

She leads me to her car and says, "I can take you to the hospital."

I agree and we get into the car.

"Do you have any idea what happened?", I ask.

"He told me he was upset because he didn't think your mom would get custody and he'd be stuck here forever. But he didn't seem that upset to the point of trying something."

The rest of the car ride we're silent.

She pulls into the parking lot and we walk into the building, the white halls making me cringe.

"Hi, I'm here to see Grayson Daniels.", I tell the nurse behind the desk.

"Only family and close friends are allowed in, can I ask your name?"

"Nova Daniels. I'm his sister.", I explain.

"Room 411.", she smiles at me.

As I open the door I see my little brother laying in the hospital bed. He looks pale and sickly. The sight of him like that makes me want to throw up.

Next to him I see our step dad sitting in a chair. His feet are up on the bed and he's asleep.
They both are.

I walk over to Jim and push his feet off of the bed, causing him to wake up.

"What the fuck?", he asks as he sees me.

"You are so fucking lucky we're in a hospital or I would beat your ass.", I snap.

"That's no way to talk to your step dad."

"I don't give a single shit who you are, you are a piece of shit for kicking him out because he's gay. Who the fuck cares who he likes?", I yell.

"God cares, Nova. It's disgust-", I cut him off, "God has nothing to do with this. You are so disgusting. He is your son! And yet you don't give a fuck about him. You shouldn't even be here. He doesn't want you here. You torture this poor child and he deserves so much better. We're taking you to court."

Just as Jim is about to say something I hear a small voice call out, "Nova?"

I rush to Grayson's side and hold his hand.
"Don't you ever do that to me again.", I slightly laugh while tears stream down my face.

"I'm sorry.", he says, his voice still hoarse.

"Don't be sorry, sweetie. I'm sorry. I'm sorry you had to stay with him.", I grip his hand tighter.

"When can I go home?", he asks.

Before I can answer, the room door opens. I see my mom.

"I got here as soon as I could.", she walks over to us.

"Baby boy, you're so crazy. Don't scare us like that.", she says, she already has tears running down her cheek.

"Mom when can I go home?", he asks again.

"Tomorrow, baby. I'm gonna go to court and see if they'll overrule their decision. Until then you're gonna stay with me.", she explains.

He cheers, causing Jim to cough.

"Jim, I think it's best if you leave.", mom says.

"I'm sorry.", he says and exits the room.

My mom and I look at each other and then decide to bring it up.
"You know it's okay to be gay, right?", i ask.

"I don't know.", he answers.

"How much do you love me?", i ask him.

"This much.", he holds out his arms as wide as he can.

"I'm pansexual. I like girls and guys and everyone in between. So that makes me fit a category of gay. Just because I'm pansexual doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I'm just different, like you.", I explain.

"Why does dad think I'm a bad person then?", he asks.

"Because sometimes people don't like different. Those people aren't worth your time and you should never let them ruin your day."

"I wont, I promise.", he says.

Almost instantly he falls asleep again and we decide to sleep here tonight so he isn't alone.