THE BIG FOUR STORY: Chapter 78 - Induced Nightmares

Hiccup’s P.O.V

After practically diving head first into the entrance of Pitch’s lair, I searched for some sort of light source. It was completely dark inside and we were blind to any coming threat. “Rapunzel can you sing for us, to give us a little light?” I suggested. “Of course.” She instantly obliged. Once she started singing a tunnel came into view before us. It winded down a long ways and turned in multiple directions. Beside me was a stick which I outstretched towards Toothless. My dragon practically could read my mind at this point and no words were needed. Toothless used his fiery breath to ignite the stick to give us some light, so Rapunzel didn’t have to continue singing. “How long do you think it goes on for?” Merida asked. I squinted my eyes in hopes to see some sort of direct path to Jack, but it was difficult in such dark conditions. “Who knows? It looks like it goes on forever though.” I stated. “Well let’s get a move on then. Jack has waited long enough.” Rapunzel commented as she took the lead and began moving down the tunnel. While carrying the torch I caught up with Rapunzel giving her some sort of light to go off of. Merida lingered behind beside Toothless, who was completely on edge. His ears buzzed and his eyes were slits, rather than his usual playful eyes. “What is it Bud?” I asked. The dragon only growled in response and tilted his head down the tunnel. “He probably senses the danger. I feel it too, something isn’t right here.” Merida suggested as she readied her bow. “Be on your toes guys, something is up.” I warned. We inched closer and closer to the end of the tunnel until we reached a much larger room. It was still dark but it was tall and much more open. Cages hung from the ceiling and in the very center of the room was a globe. It greatly resembled the globe in North’s workshop, besides the dark exterior. Lights flickered over the continents, while some went out completely. The room was quiet, too quiet. Almost instantly as we stepped into the room everything warped on us. The walls darkened and the room flipped. Toothless caught me in mid fall and just before I hit the turned over ceiling I landed on his back, but the girls weren’t so lucky. Merida and Rapunzel hit the solid wall and tumbled over the ground. “Oh how sweet! Your friends did come for you Jack. It looks like they are dumb enough to walk straight into a trap, how quaint.” Pitch laughed from the shadows. The slightest indication of Pitch’s voice sent me whirling. “Toothless! Plasma blast! Quickly over there!” I instructed. My dragon quickly obliged and fired towards the shadows. The dark walls gave way and dodged the blast. It was clear now that Pitch was in control here and had the complete ability to warp this place any way he liked. I looked back on the girls to see that they were already back on their feet.  Merida had her bow armed and aimed for something to shoot at but there was nothing. Pitch remained hidden in the shadows, and it seemed impossible to coax him out. “Where’s Jack?” Rapunzel questioned as she raised her frying pan. Pitch only laughed in response which in turn caused the room to shake. “Oh little Jack is having some fun of his own.” Pitch stated. Suddenly the walls shook and split apart causing the cages that hung from the ceiling to shake and rattle. Nightmare sand began to flood the room and wash over us just like water. The girls on the ground were completely swallowed by the sand. “Merida! Rapunzel!” I shouted out but it was too late they were gone. The sand piled higher and higher until it reached Toothless and I in midflight. The sand quickly constructed itself into a giant hand that reached for my dragoon and me. We quickly dodged the grab and dive bombed away, unfortunately the room wasn’t as open as the sky so it was difficult to maneuver in this lair. Practically cornered the nightmare sand caught up with us and knocked us down. Both Toothless and I fell down, down, down into the sand pit far below. Once I hit the pit I was quickly swallowed up by it and the world around me vanished. I half expected myself to feel breathless or almost the feeling of drowning as the sand buried me alive, but it was strange. I felt fluid and vivid just as if I was up and out of the sand. But my senses were blocked; I couldn’t hear, see, or even smell anything that indicated that I was alive. It was so dark and I was worried what this all meant. Was I dead? Or was this something far worse than death? Almost as if my questions were being answered the darkness faded and a backdrop appeared before me. It was Berk. The tiny island appeared before me in all of its glory. I saw dragons flying and Vikings on their backs basking in all of the pure delight of flight. Everyone seemed so happy and at peace. But it was all interrupted with a clap of thunder. Dark clouds rolled in and the sun was quickly blocked out. The dragons quickly fell in mid-flight and fell down towards the ocean. The water washed them away and there was no sign of any of them getting up and returning to the sky. They all floated on the water lifeless as the waves grew larger and crashed onto the side of the island’s rocky cliffs. Suddenly I saw Toothless. He was on his own and was completely surrounded by everyone in the village. In the Viking’s hands they carried torches and weapons as if they were preparing to kill Toothless. The Night Fury was backed up all the way towards the cliff where he had nowhere to go. I saw my father and the whole gang join in as the shouted and readied to attack Toothless. My dragon was frightened and saw no way out. He wouldn’t attack, but why? I looked closer and saw myself among the group. I was thrown forward to join Toothless. I was beaten up and bloody. “You’ve thrown in your lot with them! So you will die the same way as them.” Stoick shouted. I was tied up and unable to reach Toothless. He was grounded without me and unable to fly away as the village closed in on him. Toothless was cut down before my eyes. “Toothless! No! Leave him alone!” I begged. I watched helplessly as my dragon was murdered and then shoved off of the cliff to meet the rocky water below.  This was a nightmare! Everything I had feared was coming true. I was cast out once more and dragons were again hunted down. Suddenly it all made sense, this was a nightmare. That’s all it was; a nightmare! This was no reality, this was my fears. Pitch was using my fears to wound me. But now that I had realized it the backdrop vanished and the horrid images of dragon slaughter disappeared. I opened my eyes to find myself back in Pitch’s lair. I woke up frantic, and automatically searched for Toothless. The dragon too was asleep just like I had been. Above Toothless’ head a small cloud of nightmare sand played out. He too was having nightmares at Pitch’s hand. Toothless’ nightmares were similar to mine. I saw myself falling in his nightmare just like the battle against the Red Death except Toothless had failed to catch me. Over and over again his nightmare played out. Over and over again I died because Toothless failed to save me. It was heartbreaking to watch him struggle any longer. I knelt down by his head and gently patted his head. “Hey Bud, it’s me Hiccup. You got to wake up.” I whispered. The dragon quickly stirred and opened his eyes, causing the nightmare sand above his head to vanish. Toothless awoke with his big, playful eyes at the sight of me. “That’s right Bud it was all a nightmare. I’m still here.” I assured him as I placed my hand lovingly against Toothless’ snout. Once he was back on his feet I mounted him. I was lucky enough to snap out of Pitch’s induced coma filled nightmares, but I couldn’t be too sure about the girls. I had to find them and quick before it was too late.

None of these characters are mine. No copyright infringment is intended. All of these characters are owned by either Disney or DreamWorks.