THE BIG FOUR STORY: Chapter 81 - I'm Ready Now

Jack’s P.O.V

“Jack!” a shrill voice shouted in the darkness. I turned towards the voice but saw nothing. I was alone, in this dark and lonely place. “Jack!” The voice shouted again. I ran towards it before I lost track of it again but as I did the darkness around me shifted. Light flooded in and a shimmering image of my sister appeared. She was fair, and young just like she was the last time I saw her in my memory. “Jack!” She shouted once more. “I’m right here, don’t worry you’re going to be just fine. We’re going to have some fun instead!” I assured her. Suddenly ice appeared beneath the both of us. Deep, jagged cracks in the ice creaked beneath my sister’s feet. Her face was panic stricken and her tiny hands clenched by her sides. “No we’re not!” She shouted in response. “Would I trick you?” I chuckled as I tried to inch closer to her. “Yes! You always play tricks!” She cried. “Well, not this time. You have to believe in me.” I stated firmly as I reached for my staff. But to my surprise it wasn’t there. Suddenly the ice creaked and the ice beneath my sister gave way. She fell deep into the icy water, and did not resurface. “No!” I cried. I quickly scampered over to the hole in the ice and reached into the cold water for her. But it was too late my sister had already drowned. “This isn’t how this was supposed to happen.” I cried. I knelt down and held my head in my hands. I lifted my head to look at the sky only to see that there was no moon present. Man in Moon couldn’t save my sister. She was gone, all because I couldn’t save her. In the long moments of major loss the landscape around me shifted and changed. I looked around to see I was back in Burgess. The streets were busy and children were playing in a nearby park. I wandered over towards the children to see that Jamie and his friends were building a snowman. “Jamie!” I called out. The boy paid no attention to me. After I came even closer I tried again. “Jamie?” I asked. He held no recognition in his eyes as he looked at me and then he walked right through me. That oh so familiar pain of not being seen returned as I gasped for air as Jamie walked through me. I was no longer believed in, I was unseen and invisible. I was alone again. In the midst of my despair I caused the snow to fall down harder and heavier and before I knew it I wasn’t even in Burgess anymore. I was back in the South where no one could bother me. The South Pole always was a place of peace for me. There was never anyone there who could walk through me and not believe; it was solitude. After hours of being alone a voice called out to me. “Jack?” the voice called. It was Pitch. Anger boiled inside of me at the sight of him. “This is your fault!” I cried as I charged him. Pitch simply pushed me over and stood over me. “No Jack, it’s your fault. This is all of your creation. Now wallow in your self-pity and remain alone.” He stated as he joined the shadows and disappeared. “This is all of your creation?” I thought to myself. Suddenly it hit me. This wasn’t real, it was all a nightmare. “But why wasn’t Rapunzel, Hiccup, and Merida in it?” I asked myself. I thought about it and pondered. My friends weren’t in my nightmares like before because I’ve finally accepted it. I’ve accepted the fact they will eventually grow up. They will stop believing and that’s okay. All that mattered is that I remain here to help protect them. They have responsibilities, and other people to care for. They will move one, and so will I. “I’m ready now.” I told myself.

I do not own any of these characters. No copyright infringement is intended. All of these characters are owned by either Disney or DreamWorks.