209

Amelia Adams

The driveway was dirt and the wood flaps on the walls were molded and deteriorating. With the yellow grass overgrown to the point it looked to haven't been cut in two years, this place was rundown. This was 17 Summit Avenue, this was where this girl lived, and where Harry once did a decade go.

"Thank you.. for everything.." The girl we still didn't know the name of spoke quietly.

"Wait-" I interject as she places her hand on the car door handle. "What were you doing at that store if you were this far from home? Isn't there a drugstore in this town?" I ask out of curiosity.

She looks out the window at the old decrepit home, keeping her hand on the handle but not moving.

"You were running, right?" Harry asked, looking t her form the drivers seat.

"This place is not a home, it's a house with a bed. I was running away, but after that incident, I'm not ready to be on my own in this world." She turned her head back to meet my eyes with her blue ones. She looked tired- sad.

"Oh," I mumbled.

"Is Gene still there." Harry spoke up, but his voice also sounded tired and sad.

She nodded in reply.

Harry looked at his lap and shook his head, "How long have you been here?" He further asks.

"Since I could remember." She almost whispered, twiddling her thumbs.

"Erm.." Harry started shuffling around, looking around his car for something but I didn't know what. He opened the compartment between the seats, searching through with his hands as I sat there confused.

He pulled out a pen and a napkin, placing it on his lap and writing something down. He took the napkin and handed it to the girl. It was a phone number.

"If..you know.. you're ever in trouble. You can call us.." He says quietly, making my heart skip a beat.

She forms her lips into a line, taking the napkin and sticking it in her pocket. "Thank you, I'll keep that in mind."

"But you can't tell anyone you saw us here today, please." He adds, making her nod right away.

"I won't, I promise." She states sincerely.

"What's you're name?" I ask.

"Mariah." She says.

"Well Mariah," Harry begins, "I'm Thomas, and this is Sarah." He says, which makes me furrow my bows but I ignore it.

"Thank you again.." She says calmly, opening up the door and getting out. I get out at the same time so I could hop in the front seat.

She ran inside, opened the door slowly like she didn't want anyone to here her coming in, then shutting it softly behind her.

I shut the car door in the passenger seat, looking at Harry who was staring at the house that I'm sure had so many dreadful memories. I place my hand on his leg, rubbing it softly while looking at him.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

His green eyes scanned the premises, taking in every detail between the long weeds and the rickety front steps.

"I really want to kill her Amelia." He says quietly, darting his eyes to me.

"Mariah?" I widen my eyes, utterly lost.

"No, Gene, the foster woman." He clarifies.

"Oh," I murmur. "I know.." I rub his leg again.

"No, you don't. I really want to walk in there right now and put a bullet through her thick skull." He says more seriously.