Chapter 6

3rd Person POV

Connor found Hank drinking outside a different local bar. This one as nicer than the one he'd first met Hank at.

"Lieutenant!" Connor called out. Hank looked up.

"Connor?" He questioned. "I thought you were gonna take care of (Y/n) today." He said.

"I was planning to, but she went with her older sister to her fashion building." Connor replied.

"Ah, I bet she's having a fun day then. Kid's got an eye for that stuff. She can see the life in anything. She really is just like her mother." Hank said before taking another swig of his beer. 

"Lieutenant, that's actually what I wanted to ask you about." Connor said. Hank looked at him, confusion in his expression. 

"What?" He asked.

"Her family refuses to speak of the matter. Zane said (Y/n)'s mother died on a mission. It seems to be a very sensitive subject for her." Connor said. Hank looked away from him. He frowned a little.

"It is." He said. He gulped down another mouthful of his beer, clearly getting slightly upset with the subject himself.

"Lieutenant...what happened to her mother?" Connor asked. Hank looked down, shaking his head sadly.

"I'm afraid if they won't tell you, you're out of luck Connor. It's not my choice of who to tell." Hank said.

"Hank...I want to know what happened. Please, trust me." Connor said. Hank looked at him, deciding whether or not he should tell Connor about that day. He gave in.

"Alright, but you tell her you got this from me, you're paying for my funeral." Hank said. Connor listened. Hank leaned over the standing table there. He was in the outside dining area, a large umbrella was over the table. He sighed, staring at his hands that were folded together around the half empty bottle. "Her name was (M/n)." He began. "She was the best cop I'd ever seen. Smart, fast, fearless, beautiful, strong, and sneaky. She could sneak up on 100 rabbits that were all fully alert that woman. I'd never seen someone like it before. I didn't understand her. She was always positive. When she met (F/n)....the whole world lit up. I'd never seen love like that before. They had Scarlett and (M/n) basically had her treat me as a grandpa. For 16 years, everything seemed perfect in that family. A creative eldest daughter, four heroic brothers, and a little hero wanna be. (Y/n) looked up to her parents like no other child. She saw people who were invincible. Her mother took her to work one day, but we got called on a mission. Having no other option, we took (Y/n) with us. Everything was going smooth, until we started taking on gunfire. (M/n) and I bolted for cover, but (Y/n) was only 12. She couldn't run as fast as us. Bullet wound to the leg. She was out in the open and vulnerable. Before I could react (M/n) ran out. The gun fired 9 more shots. 5 hit her in her sides, 2 hit her in her right lung. I couldn't move. I'll never forget (Y/n)'s face." Hank said. "Her mother was shot down only 3 feet in front of her. That scream that came from (Y/n)...it still haunts me. (Y/n) blames herself, but I know the truth..... I was too much of a coward to make a move. I just stood there as her mother ran out and gave her life for that sweet innocent girl. Ever since then, she's trained her ass off. She swore to carry on where her mother left off. So, when she became a rookie policewoman, I got my newest apprentice..., and soon to be partner." Connor processed the information.

"I don't understand. Why would (Y/n) blame herself?" 

"Because...she thinks that if she had just been a little faster it would've never happened. It wasn't (Y/n) that needed to be faster. It was me." Hank said. Connor nodded. He got a report of another suspected deviant caused case just then.

"I just got another case. We should have a look." Connor said. He began to walk toward Hank's car.

"Connor!" Hank called. He turned. "Get back here." Hank said. Connor came back.

"Yes Lieutenant?" He asked. Hank looked him in the eye.

"Take care of that girl, cause God knows I've done a hell of a job screwing it up. She needs somebody to help her. That guy sure as hell ain't me." Hank said. He walked toward his car leaving Connor to process what he'd just asked of him.

Your POV

You and your sister had just gotten home. Nova came with you this time. You went to your room with the wolf trailing behind. You and loved spending time together. Nova was the best pet you could have. She was smart, fast, kind, playful, and a great protector. 

You closed the door and sat down on your bed with a sigh. Nova cocked her head, confused as to why you sounded upset. She padded over and hopped up onto your bed. she let out a concerned whine and you looked into her vibrant green eyes. You scratched her head. She rubbed up against your hand gratefully. You sighed.

"I don't know girl. Maybe they're right. Maybe I'm nor cut out for all this detective and crime fighting stuff." You said. She gave a low disapproving growl. You looked at her. "You think I can do it?" She barked loudly, her tail wagging. You smiled a little. You hugged her. "Thanks girl." You said. She barked again, her tongue hanging out and her tail wagging happily. 

Your mind wandered to somebody else. You frowned. 

"Nova?" 

"*Questionable whine*"

"Do you think I'm crazy?" She cocked her head as if asking, 'Why would you say that?'. You sighed. "I get this weird feeling around Connor. Like...he's important...to more than the investigation I mean. I don't know I just...I have this weird feeling about him. Like...something's gonna happen, but I don't know what." You said. She licked your hand as if reassuring you that you were probably just worried over nothing. You nodded. "Yeah. It's probably nothing. I'm probably just paranoid over the investigation." You agreed. "Come on. Let's get some sleep girl." You said. She barked in agreement. You smiled. You both laid down and you kissed her forehead goodnight. She let out a big yawn and nuzzled up to you. You chuckled. "Goodnight to you too Nova."