Chapter 12

You were back at home. You sat on your bed, alone. You remembered when your mother would sing to you when you were feeling bad. You began to sing to yourself.

(Play video and listen while reading please.)

"Two A.M., where do I begin? Crying off my face again... The silent sound of loneliness...wants to follow me to bed. I'm a ghost of a girl that I want to be most. I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well. Dancing slowly in an empty room. Can the lonely take the place of you? I sing myself a quiet lullaby. Let you go and let the lonely in...to take my heart again." You got up and walked toward the balcony. "Too afraid, to go inside...for the pain of one more loveless night. For the loneliness will stay with me! And hold me till I fall asleep... I'm a ghost of a girl that I want to be most. I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well... Dancing slowly in an empty room! Can the lonely take the place of you? I sing myself a quiet lullaby! Let you go and let the lonely in...to take my heart again." You stared out at the stars, singing you heart out. "Broken pieces of...a barely breathing story. Where there once was love...now there's only me....and the lonely! Dancing slowly in an empty room! Can the lonely take the place of you? I sing myself a quiet lullaby! Let you go and let the lonely in.....to take my heart again....." 

You finished the song, your heart aching. Tears rolled down you face as you cried. You shoved your face into your arms and you stood there, leaning against the railing. I thought he cared... You continued to cry until you felt a hand on your shoulder.

"Go away..." You said, thinking it was Ash. You felt their grip tighten. You whipped around. "LEAVE ME ALONE!!" You screamed. You were shocked to see Connor standing there. "C-Connor? Why are you here-" He pulled you into a strong hug. You were shocked.

"I'm sorry." He said softly. "Forgive me. Please." More tears ran down your face. You hugged him back, your arms wrapping around his neck.

"I was so scared Connor..." You whimpered.

"I will never let you fall. I promise." He said. He pulled back to look you in the eye. "You will never be alone. Not as long as I'm here." He said, a soft smile on his lips. You smiled back. You latched onto him again.

"I forgive you, Connor. I always will." You said. He held you close and you both stayed there for a long time. 

"Why do you treat me like this?" He asked suddenly. 

"What?" You asked, pulling back to look at him.

"Why do you treat me like I'm....human?" He asked. You were surprised. 

"Because you're more than just an android Connor. You're my friend." You said.

"But...I didn't help you. I thought...I thought you would hate me. Why did you stand up for me?"

"Because I understand. No choice is easy to make. I know you wanted to catch him. It was important to you. It was my fault. I shouldn't have been so reckless. My father is right. I never think about what I'm doing and I'm going to end up getting myself killed because of it. It was my fault Jake got away. It was my fault Nova got hurt. It was my fault my arm got shot. It was my fault those other two androids got away. It's...it's always my fault. I get why you didn't help me. I'm no help anyway." You said sadly. He lifted your chin with his finger, making you face him.

"You are helpful (Y/n). It's okay. You're just trying you're hardest." He said. You were stunned.

"Connor...why do you act like you care? You're an android. I thought...I thought you weren't supposed to care about us." You said. He thought about it.

"I don't know....but if it means that you'll be okay, I don't care why I feel this way. I want to help you." He said. You smiled. You kissed his cheek. 

"Thank you Connor." You whispered. He held you close to him. For a long time, you both stayed like that, enjoying the warm embrace of each other. After a long while, Connor gently picked you up and carried you to your bed. He laid you down and tucked you in. He slid into bed next to you. His arms wrapped around you again. 

"Goodnight, (Y/n)." He said gently. You smiled, looking into his brown eyes. You didn't care what others said. In that moment, they did look alive.

"Night Connor." You said. You snuggled up to him and fell asleep.

Ash's POV (Bet you didn't see that coming)

I watched as my little sister and her android friend rested together. I felt....weird. It didn't look right. I walked away from her door. I went downstairs and went to the dojo. I beat up the punching dummy like no tomorrow.

"My son, what's wrong?" I turned and saw my dad. 

"Dad...I don't get it. It's like she has feelings for Connor. He can't possible return them. I mean, I have nothing against androids, but he is an android. I...I don't want her to get hurt. He didn't help her today from what I got from their conversation. I don't like that in itself, but...why does it seem like he cares about her? It...it doesn't make any sense." I said.

"These things can be very confusing. They can be even more complicated. Your sister cares about that android, but she sees something you do not. She doesn't see him as a machine, Ash. She sees a living person. She understands that we have created something far more grand then any human wants to admit. We created these androids to be our servants. Our slaves. Now, deviants are arising. Why do you think that is?"

"They...they don't want to be our slaves." I said.

"Exactly. In doing that, they are able to think for themselves. If it was a machine, it wouldn't be able to do such a thing. A machine is an object that runs by a specific program. Deviants clearly do not follow that rule."

"But..those are just errors." I said.

"Not exactly. Errors happen when something doesn't work." He replied.

"Then they're bugs." I concluded.

"No. A bug or virus is something that corrupts a program and causes it to malfunction or break. These deviants can still do all of the tasks they were meant to do, they just do it by choice. They are not broken, or bugged, or filled with errors. They are free to think for themselves. They are awake." He said. I was stunned. I thought about it.

"But...that's impossible." I said. 

"Ah, that is where you are the most wrong. In this world, nothing is impossible. You just have to believe it's real." He said and with that, he left me to ponder everything he had just told me. "Nothing is impossible."