Chapter 15

3rd Person POV

Connor was waiting in the car for Hank. They were at a park. While Connor had wanted to go with (Y/n), Hank had wanted him to stay with him for some reason. Connor didn't question it. It didn't really matter. 

He stepped out of the car and walked over to Hank. Hank had another bottle of...whatever drink in his hand. He looked over at Connor.

"Nice view huh? I used to come here a lot before." Hank said. Connor looked at him.

"Can I ask you a personal question Lieutenant?" Connor asked.

"Do all androids ask so many personal questions or is it just you?" Hank asked.

"I saw a photo of a child on the kitchen table. It was your son, right?" Connor asked.

"Yeah...his name was Cole." Hank replied. Connor thought about it.

"Before what?" He asked.

"Hm?" Hank hummed.

"You said, 'I used to come here a lot before'. Before what?" Connor asked.

"Before..." Hank began. "Before nothin'." He finished, refusing to say. Connor walked ahead, getting in front of Hank.

"We're not making any progress in this investigation. The deviants have nothing in common. They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places." Connor said, frustrated.

"Well there must be some link." Hank said.

"What they have in common is this obsession with RA9. It's almost like some kind of...myth. Something they invented that wasn't part of their original program." Connor said.

"Androids believing in God." Hank said. "Fuck, what's this world commin' to?" He said, taking another swig of his drink like he didn't even care.

"You seem preoccupied, Lieutenant." Connor said, turning to face him. "Is it something to do with what happened back at the Eden Club?" He asked.

"Those two girls...they just wanted to be together. They really seemed...in love." Hank said.

"They can simulate human emotions, but they're machines. And machines don't feel anything." Connor said. 

"What about you Connor? You look human, you sound human, but what are you really?" Hank asked.

"I'm whatever you want me to be, Lieutenant. Your partner, your buddy to drink with, or just a machine designed to accomplish a task." Connor replied. 

"You could've shot those two girls, but you didn't. Why didn't you shoot, Connor?" Hank said, pushing him back. "Some scruples finally enter into your program?" 

"No. I just decided not to shoot....that's all." Connor said. 

"What about (Y/n)?" Hank asked.

"What do you mean, what about her?" Connor questioned back.

"Back at the Eden Club, I simply made a joke about you two liking each other, but I'm not stupid. Do you ever notice how she looks at you? How she treats you?" Connor thought about it.

"I didn't understand why she saved me back in the interrogation room. We had just met and she was willing to risk her life so I wouldn't be damaged. It didn't really make sense. Out on the road, I...I knew I couldn't let her die, but I didn't understand why I was so determined to save her. I hardly knew her and getting damaged by my own discretion wouldn't have been a smart choice. On the roof...I thought she would despise me for ignoring her need for help, but she forgave me. I don't understand why she treats me as if I'm human. I don't understand why...she stills calls me her friend." Connor replied.

"Because she cares about you, Connor! She's never had many friends and the ones she did have she lost! She lost her mother for god sake! For some reason and I have no idea why, she's chosen you to be her friend. She needs someone to take care of her and she trusts you with her life." Hank said. Connor was stunned.

"But...I'm merely a machine. My mission is to solve this investigation." Connor replied.

"She doesn't care about that Connor, she cares about being able to see you everyday! She's sees something in you that not many people can see in an android. I don't know why she chose you, but she did!" Hank said.

"She seemed afraid to see me get shot in the interrogation room." Connor said. Hank pulled out his gun.

"But are you afraid to die Connor?" He asked, pointing it at his head.

"I would certainly find it regrettable to be...interrupted...before I can finish this investigation." Connor said. Since Hank had mentioned (Y/n) caring about him, he wondered what she would say. Would she be upset? Would she care if I was gone? How would she react if I was replaced? Would she even think anything of it? He wondered.

"What'll happen if I pull this trigger, hm? Nothing? Oblivion? Android heaven?" Hank asked.

"I doubt there's a heaven for androids." Connor replied.

"Having existential doubts, Connor? Sure you're not going deviant too?" Hank asked.

"I self-test regularly. I know what I am, and what I am not." Connor said. Hank paused for a moment before lowering his gun. He turned to leave. "Where are you going?" Connor asked.

"To get drunker!" Hank said. "I need to think." Hank grabbed his bottle and left, leaving Connor in the park, alone.

(Sorry this one is shorter, but I wanted to make this conversation a chapter all on it's own. We needed some bromance time! Even if it was...basically Hank just questioning Connor...with a gun...BUT WHATEVER! IT'S A BROMANCE! With that said, this is Spiritwing howling a goodbye! Author AHWOOOOOT!)