The Hanahaki

sad fic babes mb itll turn out good but idk
also people are born with it they just have to deal with it once they find someone they like; almost all time it turns out good. idk for this story tho

light pink- catching them
purple- caught them
red- deep in love
dark blue- close to death, near death

once you have feelings they wont go away unless you recieve surgery which rids them forever, hes just not willing

------------------

It was small. Simple, really. Dont fall for you best friend. But he couldnt stop thinking. He couldnt quit those thoughts. They were playing a game, just the two of them. Simple fun. Jaren said something that made him laugh louder than he really shouldve. Thats when it happened.

The little jump in his chest, the scratchy croak of his throat. He coughed, feeling the flower petals that rested inside his lungs; everyones lungs to be infact- fall from his lips. Tears welled in his eyes as he coughed up the small but deadly things. He felt blood drip down his lips as his coughing fit ceased.

He picked up a petal, examining it with questions on the light pink colour. "John? You okay bud?" John felt like this wasnt something he should share, even if this was his best friend.

"Y-yeah." John croaked out, his throat scratchy and irritated when he talked. "Just- just choked on air or somethin. Im f-fine." John felt more of the thick red liquid fall from his lips as more petals fought their way up. "Ex-excu-se me for-" John was cut off my his own accord, petals falling from his mouth as he coughed.

He ended the call with Jaren, letting his coughing stop. He could hear the ding of discord, Jaren obviously. With a sniffle as he felt tears fall down his face, he slowly lifted himself from his chair, moving himself towards his bathroom on shaky feet.

He cleaned himself up, grabbing a bottle of water from his kitchen on the way back to his room. He looked at the mess on his desk, sighing as he picked it up quickly and disposed of it. He didnt know what the colour meant, and he was too nervous to actually search it up himself.

John opened up his discord again, seeing a bunch of missed texts from Jaren.

s7gfuel: john? are you okay?
s7gfuel: bb jahn where r u
s7gfuel: im gettin worried, why tf were you coughin so much? was it your hani?
johnismissing: look i changed my name :( come back to me bb

thicccclouds: xhange your name im fine jsut had a coughing fit no problem

seventitty: fine but sre you sure? was it your hani? if it was ik how much that shit sucks

John was confused. Jaren had gotten his hanahaki as well?

thiccclouds: when did you get ur hani?

seventitty: i found someone i really like, i dont really wanna say too much but i hope she likes me back

John felt bad at those words, his heart dropped and he didnt know why.

thiccclouds: oh thats great dude! besides the hani, for sure

seventitty: yeah. you sur eyoure okay though?

thiccclouds: yeah, im fine

Oh what a lie that turned out to be.

-----------------

Its been 3 months since his first hanahaki. John started to realize his feelings for his best friend. Not good. His coughing became more frequent, turning purple. He still refused to look up anything regarding them.

buttermybicuits: hey jahn, can i come hang out with you for a week? I need tk ger away for a bit and i think hangin with my bestie will do the trivk :D

callmebettycrocker: of xourse dude! itll be good to see you again after so long!!

buttermybiscuits: thanks man! luv u bb see u soon <3

callmebettycrocker: luv u too bb <3

Why didnt he say no?

------------------

John coughed red. All he saw was red. He was in love with his best friend. His best friend is now dating someone else. He didnt know what to feel.

The week with Jaren only made him realize his love. He coughed like crazy, seeing purple slowly fade into red. John was started to hate these colours that seemed to come from his lungs and fall out of his lips. Jaren helped, which only made matters worse. The poor boy was still oblivious as ever.

Sitting back against the wall, as he looked into the tub. Red petals littered the tub floor. He watched as the blood slowly fell into the drain, feeling the tears fall down his face as the petals mocked him. He hated this. The one sided love, the hurt, the coughing, the red, purple, pink.

His throat was nearly impossible to use by now, the coughing making it extremely hard and painful to talk. His friends understood though, and wished the best for him. He knew he was on his death bed. He knew of everything now, the colour meaning, how long he had, what he could do.

He was too tired though. Way too tired to undergo any sort of surgery. He lifted himself from his stationary position on the wall, holding onto it for dear life as he turned on the faucet to watch the terrible petals fall down the drain.

----------------

Dark blue. Last stage. He has already accepted it. He has messaged every single one of his friends, saving Jaren for last. Coughing into his arm and seeing the dark blue petals mix in with the red, he began to type.

"hey jay. um, so you would probably knkw already if our friends got to eachother, but im going to die. yeahn way to be really blunt huh? its true though. the person that ive loved  never loved me back. and its- its you jay."

John paused his typing, feeling a cough in the back of his throat. He was so tired as he coughed, petals and blood falling onto his bed.

"it hurts, jay. its hurt so fucking much. i know i couldve gone into surgery, but i was too far gone to even consider it. fuck my throat is so destroyed from coughing so much. please, dont blame yourself. you did absolutely nlthig  wrong. who cares if you didnt love me? you were happy, i wasnt going to push my stupid feelings on you. i can feel it now, jts so fucking close. im so tired. just- dont give up okay? keep living, keep being happy. im watching over every single one of you, so- so dont do anything stupid! heh..im going to go now, Jaren. I love you so much, okay? take care for me, babe.."

John let out a sigh, smiling as he dropped his phone off the side of the bed. He coughed violently, feeling this eyesight turn white around the edges. If anyone texted back he wouldnt have been able to hear them, seeing as his hearing seemed to be fading. Blood and dark blue petals fell from his mouth with each push of air from his lungs. He panted, laying on his side and closed his eyes. He gave in.

----------------

ahahahaha woops

no happy :')
i hope you babes enjoyed though, sorry if there wasnt much in it i wanted it to be a little different

stay happy, and stay true to yourselves, love you babes, see yah next time