Butterfly

Olivia spots an intruder and calls her boyfriend Shayne.

Shayne:

It was just an hour into work at the Smosh office when I got a phone call from Olivia. To be honest, I was glad because I was bored, but I didn't want to have a private phone call in front of everyone. When I saw her name pop up on my phone, I went to the bathroom.

"Olivia? What is it? You know I'm at the office" I say.

"I need you to come over now!" She says with a shaky voice.

"What? What happened? Are you ok?" I say and start to wonder.

"There's been an intrusion. I need you here." She says with a desperate voice.

"Oh my God! Did you call the police? Call the police! I'm on my way!" I say and hang up quickly.

I end the call and fast walk back to my desk for my keys. On my way, I run into Noah.

"Hey, Noah, can you cover for me please?" I ask.

"Of course. What should I tell people if they ask for you?" He says.

"Tell them the truth, my house was broken into earlier." I say fearing for Olivia.

"Oh God, that's crazy! I'll tell Ian, I'm sure he won't mind" Noah says.

I give him a quick thanks and rush out the door. Of course traffic is busy when I'm in a hurry. My headache grew with every honk and every missed stop at a red light. I couldn't imagine what Olivia was going through. Was she there when it happened? I didn't even ask her anything. She was obviously scared and I didn't even try to comfort her. Getting lost in my own thoughts seem to make time go by faster as I finally pulled into the parking lot.

"Olivia, I'm here. Where are you?" I shout walking in.

"I'm in the bedroom." She shouts back.

Scared, I walk into our room ready for anything. My mouth drops open in confusion as go into the room.

"What..I'm so confused..." I say looking at our spotless room.

I thought the place would be ransacked. I stare at her wide eyes.

"I'm sorry, but you wouldn't have come." Olivia says as she points timidly at the wall.

I stare at her in disbelief. There was no way she called me for this. I must have been daydreaming or something.

"A butterfly?" I say in disbelief.

"Technically, there was an intruder...the butterfly." She explains.

I'm still in disbelief and a little annoyed that she called me for this.

"I'm sorry, but you know I hate butterflies and this one is huge!" She says.

I take another look at the butterfly

"You know, I told the squad that someone broke into our house!" I said.

As if on cue, my phone interrupts me with a notification. I open it and read it out loud.

"I'm sorry I couldn't call, I'm in a meeting. Sorry to hear about your situation. You can have the rest of the week off. If you need more time, just let me know -Ian" I read to her.

"He's given me a whole week off because of a lie" I say still annoyed.

Out of nowhere, she screams and jumps on the bed as the butterfly flies off the wall and onto the dresser. I had to give it to her though, this butterfly was actually pretty big. Olivia usually exaggerates about them, but this is the biggest one I've seen in a while. Not wanting to show that I wasn't as annoyed anymore, I roll my eyes and walk over to open the window. There's no way I'm killing a butterfly, especially in the apartment. I may not be scared of them, but I don't like killing them either. I turn to the dresser to see the butterfly but it was gone. I look back at Olivia who is still on the bed, but she just shrugs. Where could it have gone? I start to give up caring after looking around the room for it. Olivia gets off the bed and stands right behind me hiding.

"Are you scared too?" Olivia asks.

"No, It is a little big though." I say.

"It isn't poisonous is it?" She asks.

"Butterflies aren't poisonous" I state.

"Shit, there it is!" Olivia screams pointin to it flying from behind the door.

I run after it and try to capture it. I looked like such a little kid chasing a butterfly. I gave up trying to catch it and tried to guide it out the window.

"Did it leave?" I ask hopeful.

"I don't know. I think so." Olivia says, looking from over my shoulder.

"Its on the window sill!" She shouts.

I feel her grip me from behind me while I go to the window. I shook the butterfly out the window finally with my hand. I let out a sigh and closed the window.

"Olivia it's gone now, you can let go of me" I say.

"You sure?" She said peeking over my shoulder.

"Yes, it left" I said.

"Thank God" She said and let go of me.

Olivia went over to the bed and layed down. She pretend to wipe the sweat off her forehead and let out a breath of relief. I stared at her and thought about what just happened. We probably looked like big idiots trying to get rid of a butterfly.

"Well, now that that's over, you want to watch Chopped with me?" She said unpausing the TV.

"Liv-" I start to say.

"What? Youre the one who said it, you have the whole week off" Olivia said smiling.

"..... Scoot over" I said and hopped onto the bed.

She moved a little to let me on the bed. I scooted into the middle and she snuggled her body into mine. She layed her head on my chest and I wrapped my arm around her while we watched TV.