Holiday Spirit

Shayne finds out someone's not enjoying Christmas

So yes, the kitchen floor is freezing but that's because he's barefoot. He's barefoot and in just his underwear, care free as he shoves half a pancake into his mouth, syrup dripping down his chin. Shayne could almost cackle at the absurdity of the situation, like a child being mischievous.

There's just no way he'd do that if someone was around, but he's home alone, most of his friends had left to go home for the holiday. It feels like a weight was lifted off his chest since he doesn't have to tiptoe around the subject that he witnessed his two good friends making out at a party while wearing Christmas sweaters.

Only Damien is aware that they were seen, but no one has dared to tell Courtney and Damien doesn't want to hurt Courtney by exposing her. Of course, Shayne's the one caught in the middle.

He sighs, washing the pancake down with coffee.

His last meeting is in an hour and he should get dressed. Would it be weird if he ate his pancakes while in the shower? Well, it turns out he doesn't need to worry because he finishes them while on the way to his bedroom. Courtney's a lifesaver with those frozen treats she always brings over for him. The sugar is necessary if he wants to be alert during the next two hours, because he cannot only trust the coffee. He needs sustenance.

When he pulls a beanie over his head, his hair is still damp, but he only cares about his ears. They are dry and itchy thanks to the cold, and Courtney and Olivia already scolded him about it. He should've made sure his hair was dry because when he takes the hat off while sitting to begin the company meeting everyone looks at him as if he was wearing a costume.

The girl in the front row giggles.

"You should" She motions with her hand as if combing her own hair.

He follows the directions but she smiles anyway.

"Better?" He asks now using both hands when he feels his hair sticking out in every way.

"As good as it can get" She said snorting a laugh.

He heaves a sigh, shrugging one shoulder. It's not important. He just wants to get this over with and then have everything ready for his trip. He'll drive long hours, and he wants to shop for some food to take with him, like candy and chips. He already rented a truck last week just for the trip.

It turns out he feels like it goes great and not only that but his mind is clear and he's in a good mood, he's going home today! So it doesn't matter if he has to shove his mess of a hair into the beanie again and walk back home as a light snow falls over the campus. Shayne takes a deep breath and feels the chill air in his lungs.

About to cross the street, his phone vibrates in his pocket. The screen reads Courtney's name, and for a moment he dreads to answer. What if she found out he saw her with Damien? What if she's panicky and ashamed, even if she shouldn't? Sure, he never thought she like Damien romantically, but he would never judge her. In fact, the more he thinks about it, the more he believes Courtney and Damien would be good to balance each other out.

"Hello?" He asked.

"Shayne, how'd the meeting go?" Courtney says with some relief latched to her voice.

"Pretty good, I'm going home, how was the drive and the trip back home? Was your dad waiting for you?" He asked.

"Good, Yes, fortunately just him, so we had peace and quiet until we arrived home" She jokes.

"Now, I'm calling you to ask for a favor, remember the food I left in the freezer? I need you to take it to Olivia's" She said.

That stops him in his tracks. Why would Olivia need that frozen food? She must be in China, shopping or eating like she says she loves to do. She's probably planning big dinners with her family and reading books next to a warm fire.