Movie Night

Shayne and Olivia watch a scary movie late at night.

Shayne:

Olivia texted me that she was on her way over. We were going to watch a movie tonight like we always do on Friday nights. Last time we watched it at her place so this time we were watching it at my apartment. I was still stuck on what movie to watch though. I know we both liked comedies and dramas but I wanted to do something different tonight. I pulled up Netflix and browsed through the movie genres. There was comedies, romance, dramas, action and finally horrors. Horrors didn't sound too bad. I mean how scary could they really be? I found one titled The Blair Witch Project and read the description. It didn't sound that scary I thought. There was a knock on my door as I finished watching the trailer.

"Liv!"I said opening the door.

"Shanye!" She joked smiling.

"That was fast" I said.

"I took a shortcut" Olivia said shrugging.

"You get the popcorn?" I asked.

"Duh" She said pulling a small box of popcorn out of her purse.

"Great, I'll put in the microwave" I said grabbing it and heading to the kitchen.

Olivia came in and sat on the couch in the living room. I put the popcorn in the microwave and then looked for a bowl.

"Blair Witch Project?" Olivia asked from the couch.

"Well we always watch comedies so I thought I'd switch it up" I told her.

"It says it's a horror film" Olivia said as the microwave dinged.

"Yeah, what's a matter are you scared already?" I teased pulling the popcorn out and pouring it into the bowl.

"Whaaat mee? No way, I'm just worried about you" She said.

"Me?" I asked.

"Yeah, I don't want you getting too scared" She said.

"Mhm" I replied rolling my eyes and sitting down next to her.

I placed the bowl of popcorn in the coffee table in front of us.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Go ahead" Olivia said.

I picked up the remote and pressed play on the movie. Hopefully it would be a good one. It started off pretty slow like any scary movie. The movie picked up pace towards the halfway point. There were some jump scares here and there. Olivia eventually scooted closer to me and grabbed onto my arm tight. When one of the creatures jumped out she gripped even tighter. I could've sworn that if she gripped my arm any tighter it would've fallen off. Towards the end of the movie it got calmer again. She slowly let go of my arm but stayed close to me. I thought we were in the clear at the ending but there was one last jump scare. When it jumped out Olivia buried her head in my chest away from the screen. The ending credits rolled and she moved back to her original position on the couch.

"So what did you think?" I asked smiling.

"Psssht that wasnt scary at all" She said.

"The red mark on my arm begs to differ" I said motioning to where she gripped it.

"I don't know what you're talking about" Olivia said.

"Mhm sure" I said rolling my eyes.

"It wasn't scary at all, in fact the end was kinda boring" She said.

"How would you know? Your head was in my chest at the end" I teased her.

"Shut up Shayne" She said plaufully punching my shoulder.

I grabbed the empty bowl of popcorn and brought it to the kitchen. I put it in the sink and began to wash it. The sun had set while we watched the movie and it was pretty dark outside. I finished cleaning the bowl and put it away. I glanced at the microwave clock, it was 10 PM. Olivia usually headed home about this time after the movie.

"Well, I'm gonna hit the sack" I said.

"Drive safe I'll see you tom-" I started to say.

"Wait!" She said interrupting me.

"What?" I asked.

"Do you think I could... Um... Stay here tonight?" She said shifting her feet.

"You sure?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's uh.. it's kinda late" She said.

"You always leave around this time" I replied.

"Yeah but it's kinda... Dark" Olivia said.

"Dark? You sure it's not because you're still scared?" I teased her.

"Scared? Me? No way! I'm just kinda tired" She said.

"Haha ok, well you know where the blankets and pillows are, call if you need me" I said starting to walk towards my bedroom.

"Wait!" She said again.

"Yes?" I said stopping in my tracks.

"Can you... Stay with me?" Olivia asked nervously.

"You want me to sleep with you?" I said raising an eyebrow.

"Not like that!" She said blushing.

"Sorry" I said laughing.

"Can you just lay net to me?" She asked.

"Sure" I said reversing and heading back to the couch.

I grabbed a pillow and a blanket and layed down on the couch. Olivia layed down next to me. I gave her the pillow and draped the blanket over her. I turned on my side and closed my eyes.

"Hey, I can share" Olivia joked draping the blanket over me as well.

"Haha thanks" I said.

I felt Olivia turn on her side as well and then I closed my eyes. I figured she was turned the other way until I felt something. Olivia had wrapped her arms around me from the back and held onto me.

"Goodnight Olivia" I said.

"Goodnight Shayne" She said yawning.

I dozed off to sleep in the aroma of her perfume and her touch. For someone who said they weren't scared, she sure was acting like it. I didn't mind though.