Break Up

High School AU where Olivia convinces herself she's going to breakup with Shayne

"I'm breaking up with you" I said.

He leaned against his locker and laughed humorlessly.

"No you're not" He told me.

Like he knew.

I rolled my eyes at his immaturity.

"Yes actually, I am and don't worry, it's not you…" I trailed off.

"It's me" He finished.

"Yes- I mean no!" I corrected myself.

I'd broken up before, but I seemed to be off my game that day. Maybe it was because no one was around, I didn't have the protection of the eavesdroppers and witnesses. I was naked in a sense.

"Look, I've got to get back to class" He said with a little smirk on his stupid face.

"Are you through being a drama queen?" He asked.

The nerve of him! I was not being a drama queen!

"I'm not being a drama queen!" I yelled.

This was exactly why I was breaking up with him.

"You broke up with me last week, too. And the week before that" He said.

He sighed and rubbed his head while I feigned stupidity.

"We've been going out for two years and we've broken up for half of it, you know, one of these days, you're going to break up with me and I'm going to let you" He said.

"I hope that day comes soon, Shayne" I told him.

"In fact, I hope it comes, wait a sec, now" I said.

He rustled in his relaxed position, as if he were about to leave for real, and a wave of panic went through me. What if he really did leave? I asked myself. Well, I'd be lonelier, that's for sure. And there wouldn't be notes in my locker anymore, I'd really miss those… He paused in upright position and looked at his watch. With a yawn he muttered the time.

"Babe, it's almost lunch, I really need to get back so are you going to kiss me?" He asked and raised his eyebrow.

I nodded weakly, and kissed him on his cheek.

"But only because it's almost lunchtime" I told him.

"But of course" He said smiling

I slammed my tray beside him, and everyone looked up at me except for him.

"I want to break up with you," I said with conviction.

Half of the table looked away in disinterest, but the other half looked to my boyfriend, excuse me, ex-boyfriend, to see what he would do. He didn't do anything, except take my bowl of macaroni and cheese.

"Hey!" I called but he ignored me.

"You must not think I'm serious, but I am! I. Don't. Want. You." I said.