Snowstorm

Olivia and Shayne stay at a B&B for the night.

3rd person:

"Shayne, I think this is a lost cause, we can't even see the road anymore" Olivia said sighing. 

Another text came in to her phone, one from Noah this time. Their friends had been tracking their progress to the Christmas party at the cabin for hours now, and what should have been a three hour trip had turned into six, and they weren't even half way there yet. 

"It's just a dusting" Shayne had said when he picked her up outside her apartment, watching the skeptical look on her face as the snow flurries surrounded them. 

This trip was as much a part of their winter tradition as was the rest of the holidays. Shayne lived pretty close to Olivia, so it just made sense that they traveled to the cabin for Christmas together. She paid for gas and snacks, and he drove. Shayne squints through his truck's windshield, the squeak of the rapid wipers, barely able to keep up with the falling snow, filling the truck. His knuckles turn white on the steering wheel as he continues at their snail's pace down the highway, not another car in sight for the last twenty minutes and at least an hour since they saw a plow truck. The roads were indeed snow covered and then some, eerily quiet with the muted blanket of white. 

"I think we should get off at the next exit, find a place to stay, Courtney will thank us when they can stop worrying" She says trying again. 

"Look there's an exit in a mile" She says pointing at the sign as it creeps up on them. 

"Yeah, I guess you're right" Shayne agrees. 

"This sucks" He remarks. 

"It will suck less once we're settled, our friends can stop worrying, and I can charge my phone. Maybe it'll clear up in a couple hours" She says. 

He laughs at her optimism. 

"Even if it stops now, there's no way these roads will be any better before morning, I guess you're stuck with me for the night Sui" Shayne says.

She smiles at her friend as he pulls into the exit lane. 

"Not the worst thing in the world, Shayne" Olivia says. 

She tries to read the small signs lining the exit ramp as they pass, but they're snow covered and she doesn't recognize the bottom half of the symbols. 

"Maybe we should just stop at the first hotel we see?" She suggests. 

"Left or right?" Shayne asks as he breaks towards the end of the ramp. 

The pedal pushes back at him with the anti-lock brake system, and he feels the car sliding. 

"Fuck, hold on" He says. 

"Why?" She asks. 

She can hear the breaks and see they're coming in too fast to the intersection. There are no cars around, but the other side of the road is a ditch, and Shayne decides he's going to try to turn the car to lose some of the momentum. 

"Shayne!" Olivia yells. 

She subconsciously reaches across the seat in fright and her hand ends up clutching his mid thigh when the car finally stops sliding.  He turns to grin at her.