Miscommunication

Olivia and Shayne suffer from a miscommunication in College

"Hey babe" Olivia said entering Shayne's dorm room.

He looked up from where he was lying down on his bed and pushed himself to seated so she would have space to sit. 

"Is everything okay?" She asked.

"Hey" He said. 

Shayne greeted her with an expression on his face that she couldn't place and she raised an eyebrow and leaned down to press a kiss to his lips, not lingering like she usually would because he looked distracted.

"Your text just said you needed to talk" She said when all he did was pull her down next to him on the bed without saying anything else. 

"Where's the roomie?" She asked making a face. 

It wasn't that she didn't like Shayne's roommate it was just that he weirded her out and she avoided him if she could.

"He has class till 6 ... Olivia" Shayne said. 

He started twisting his lips as if unsure how to tell her what was on his mind. 

"I've been thinking about our situation a lot and I thought I would be okay with it but it hasn't even been a year yet and I'm not, I'm not happy anymore" He said.

Olivia narrowed her eyes slightly and shook her head disbelievingly, her heart was beating so hard it felt like it would beat right out of her chest, there was no way he could mean what she thought he meant. Her mother had always told her that Shayne would be her undoing and with the way her heart was beating at the grave look on his face and those words she thought her mother was right and also she was going to faint or throw up. He wasn't happy, with her, she just needed to hear him out, maybe she was missing something, this could not be happening.

"Olivia?" He asked when she didn't respond breaking her from her internal turmoil. 

He didn't look like he was going to tell her that he wanted to break up, his face was much too serene for that conversation and his hand was still holding hers, so she took a breath and tried to smile at him to push that fear out of her mind.

"Why aren't you happy, Shayne?" She asked in what she hoped sounded normal to him.

"It's just... how much of time do we spend together anymore?" He said turning to her and she frowned. 

They didn't spend as much time as she would have wanted together but it's not as if they never saw each other. 

"Since the start of term I only got to see you on two days when our schedules lined up but then after campus there's tutorials and study groups and actually studying and trying to spend time with friends and your sorority sisters because they 'demand' it ... this isn't working out anymore, Courtney and Damien were right" He said.

He said the last part with a resigned sigh more to himself than to her and leaned back on the couch heavily, his hand slipping out of hers to rest on his face and Olivia felt the tears start to prickle at her eyes and the familiar lump in her throat telling her that she was moments away from tears.

"They were?" She asked blinking rapidly.

Her gaze fixed on her hands twisting in her lap. She knew that Damien was always weary about their relationship but recently they had become friends and he started trusting her more and Courtney was supportive once she got over her fantasy of being with Shayne, so much so that she would play peacemaker if they were ever at odds with one another.

"Yeah, they bet we couldn't last six months like this, well Damien thought two months" Shayne said with a chuckle and Olivia frowned. 

Her pain turned into anger, he was breaking up with her, not only was he breaking up with her he was laughing about the bets their 'friends' made about how long they would last once they left High School. What happened to him saying he loved her? What happened to him wanting to be with her forever? Was it all just a lie? Did he meet someone else in all that time they couldn't be together? Is that why it was so easy for him?