The Baker

An AU where Olivia shops for bread.

Olivia:

The bell above the door rang as I walked into the store. It was a family owned buisness that my friend Courtney recommend. You see, I was in a bit of a jam. I like to think of myslef as having a fine taste pallet. One of my favorite things to eat besides white rice was bread. My problem was that I couldn't find anywhere that sold good bread.  So when Courtney recommend this small bakery I decided to give it a chance. So here I was on a Sunday afternoon, downtown shopping for bread. I walked around the shop looking for a worker or someone. There were all sorts of cakes and sweets on the shelves. I walked further into the store and saw a section for bread next to a counter. I went up and viewed all the different bread that was set out. There were baguettes, Hawaiian rolls, honey, canned bread etc. Thru all looked amazing. The counter next to me was empty but had a bell. Underneath the bell there was a sign advising you to ring the bell of you needed service. Unable to choose between all the options I decide to ring the bell. I rang the bell and waited.

"Sorry I was in the back, what can I get you?" Said a man coming out of the back while putting on a hat with the store logo.

The man looked oddly familiar. I felt like I knew him from somewhere. He was ruggedly handsome and had ocean blue eyes and dirty blonde hair. He must've been working in the back because he had flour dust all over his apron and parts of his shirt.

"Yeah, do you own this place?" I asked him.

"Yup, my dad passed it down to me like my grandfather did with him" He said.

"Thats neat" I said awed.

"Yeah, it's pretty taxing but I love working here" He said.

"My friend was telling me that you guys have amazing bread" I said.

"Well she's not lying" He said smiling.

"Do you make it all by yourself?" I asked.

"Most of the time, sometimes I get my buddy Damien to help but usually it's just me here" He said.

"You work here by yourself?" I asked amazed.

"Yeah, it's fine though, gives me time to relax while doing what I'm good at" He replied.

"So, do you have a name?" I asked.

"What? Oh, my bad" He said.

He searched around for something for a couple seconds. He reached below the counter and finally found what he was looking for. When he stood back up he was holding a name tag. He pinned the tag to his apron. The name tag had the name Shayne written on it.

"Names Shayne" He said.

"Nice to meet you Shayne" I said smiling.

"So what brings you in here today ma'am?" He asked.

"Well you see, as I said earlier my friend recommended this place because of your bread, I like to think of my self as a bread connoisseur and I haven't found any good bread in my area so I thought I'd look around" I began.

"You could say I'm on a breadq-" I started to say.

"A breadquest" Shayne said smiling.

"Right" I said smiling.

"Before I can help out this beautiful young lady on her quest, may I dare ask her name?" He said.

"Haha my name's Olivia" I said blushing.

"Well miss Olivia, what kind of bread are you looking for?" Shayne asked.

"I'm not sure, what do you recommend?" I asked.

"Well, not to brag or anything but, I make amazing baguettes and I have my own dipping sauce" He said.

"That sounds amazing" I said.

"How many loaves do you want?" He asked.

"I think for today I'll just get one loaf" I replied.

"Ok I'll be right back" He said.

"Why? There's some right there" I said pointing.

I pointed to the glass case below the counter. There were already a bunch of breads on display including a couple baguettes.

"This is true but, I'm going to check the back to see if I have any fresh loaves out of the oven for you" Shayne said.

"Oh, thanks" I said.

"No problem, besides, I wouldn't want to end your quest on a sour note" He said laughing.

"That wouldn't be ideal" I said giggling.

He went through an opening into what I assumed was the back. I looked at the other loaves of bread and waited for him to return.

"Here you are" He said returning with a bagged baguette in his hand.

He handed me the loaf and smiled. It was warm and smelled amazing. Based on the smell alone it seemed pretty good.

"So, how much do I owe you?" I asked.

"Don't worry about it, it's on the house" Shayne said.

"C'mon I have to pay you" I said.

"No, don't worry about it, think of it as a gift" He said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes" He said smiling.

"Thanks" I said smiling.

"Is that all for today?" He asked.

"Yeah, I think so" I said.

"Wait, what about the dipping sauce?" I asked.

"That's what that's for" Shayne said pointing at a sticker on the bag of bread.

I looked down at the bag of bread. There was a small sticker near the top that had a seven digit number on it.

"Is that the store number? Why would I call the store for the sauce if I'm already right here?" I asked.

"No that's my number" Shayne said.

"Your number?" I said feeling my cheeks redden.

"I can't just give the dipping sauce to anyone" He said grinning.

"Hmm that seems plausible" I said.

"Feel free to give me a call anytime" Shayne said.

"What if it's not about the dipping sauce?" I asked playfully.

"Normally I'd be disappointed, but for you I think I would manage" He said.

"I'll have to give you a call then" I said.

"For sure" He said.

"Well thanks Shayne for the bread but, I should probably get going, I told my friend that I would meet her later and tell her about the bread" I told him.

"Tell her thanks for telling you to come here" He said.

"I'll be sure to let her know" I said smiling.

"Bye" Shayne said.

"Bye" I said.

I walked out of the store with the bread in my hand. I think I finally found the place to go for my bread cravings. Plus I managed to score the cute guy Shayne's number. I would definitely be calling him later.