Dance

Olivia tries to teach her boyfriend Shayne to dance.

3rd Person:

"One...two...three...one...two...three" Olivia kept counting.

She reassured Shayne with a smile, despite him stepping on her toes every other count. She had put sneakers on after the second time he’d done it, but now with their height difference and without heels, she was having a harder time guiding him through the steps. Olivia grimaced as her toes were squished once again, stopping to shake her foot, and he sighed out loud. 

"Olivia, I don’t think I’m cut out for this" Shayne said grumpily.

He dropped her hand from his and removed his other one from her waist.

"Can’t we just slow dance like everyone else does?" He asked.

“Nonsense, Shayne we are not everyone else and you’re almost there!” Olivia said.

She put her hands on her hips as she continued

"You have the tempo, it’s just remembering to shift your weight appropriately and using your hands to guide me" She said.

Despite how pessimistic he was about all this learning to dance business, Shayne was going to keep trying for her. This little angelic vixen beaming up at him, still in her blouse and jeans from work with her running sneakers on and her hair piled on top of her head, giving her an 'I mean buisness' look that put a little smile on his face. 

"Okay, we can keep going, show me again" He said.

Olivia tried a different approach this time, standing next to him mimicking exactly what he should do with each foot, and when it seemed like he finally had it, she flipped around to face him to do her part, too.

“One....two...three...one...two...three... that’s perfect, you’re getting it!” Olivia said excitedly.

She moved in closer to him getting back into position. He was smiling now, a sight that always warmed Olivia's heart in any circumstance, as he placed his right hand back on her waist, and she was so glad Shayne was going to share her day with her. This party meant everything to her as it was their first time being out as a couple and to be able to take a formal spin on the dance floor with her love would be a cherry on top of the day. Shayne stopped then and pulled Olivia in closer, grinning down at her as he lifted her up and began swinging her around the space they had cleared out in the squad room. 

"I knew you could do it!" She said laughing.

"But we still have more to work on" She added as he set her down. 

He frowned before replying

"More?" He asked.

She pushed back from him a little to reset their stance.

"Yes, now that you have the steps, we have to start moving around the room, use the same pattern but move in all the space" Olivia instructed.

Shayne looked a little hesitant, doubt sweeping across his face again, and they reset. It was the longest thirty minutes of his life, and the bruises on his lower legs from the number of times he nudged the coffee table would remind him of it for a week but Olivia was finally satisfied with his progress for the day, and let him relax on the couch, head falling back and spreading his limbs out, which is how she found him when she returned from her room. Olivia had changed into her 'lounge wear' as she called it, which to him still looked pretty nice, now clad in a tight pair of black leggings and a gray sweater that had some sort of metallic thread in it. 

"Okay, as your reward, we can watch whatever you want" Olivia said.

She curled up next to him on the couch and kissed his cheek. She had left her hair up, something she had been doing more of recently when it was just the two them since he had off-handedly mentioned how sexy it was last month. 

"But I must insist that we order in from Postmates, because I’m absolutely dying for sushi" She said.

Shayne laughed, head still stretched out on the back of the couch as she reached for her phone.

"That’s fine" He said.

He watched as her fingers tapped across her screen. Their usual order was saved in the delivery app and she had it completed within seconds. 

"So what’ll it be babe? HBO? Netflix? Dare I say, something terrible on Starz?" Olivia asked.

“YouTube videos on how to do the waltz?” Shayne joked.

He immediately regretted it when he caught the look that came over her face at his words. She tucked her clenched hands under her chin and gave him that look. The look that often had him metaphorically and sometimes literally on his knees for her. Shayne groaned, slapping his hand to his forehead, as Olivia giggled. When the food arrived later, they were deep into the YouTube world of dance instruction on Olivia’s phone, propped up on the coffee table, and he had to admit that it wasn’t the worst thing in the world.

"What type of dance is that? Could we try that?" He asked her.

They watched a woman sling her leg around her partner’s waist as he dragged them both backward across the floor. 

"Tango, obviously much different from the waltz, and not at all appropriate for an office party” Olivia stated.

She took another bite of her dinner and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"But I’ll keep your interest in mind for the next occasion that calls for something a bit spicier, perhaps we could take some classes?” She suggested.

Shayne kept watching, mesmerized, as the woman straddled her partner’s thigh and dragged her body down his leg to the floor, imagining the same kind of skimpy, shimmery dress on Olivia, draping her body on him like that. Her leg would be hitched up on his hip as his hand skimmed up her thigh, her lips against the side of his face as he spun them around.

"Maybe" He said.