Promise (26 Pt. 3)

"This is the most British picture ever taken... There isn't a lip in sight."

"It's..." I trail. "Wrong."

"Wrong?" Jami asks. 

"The tower is missing," I reply quietly. "And the stars... They aren't as bright. There's less fish in the pond."

"Jami? Haz?" Tom asks. "Could you give us a second?" They both stand and walk quietly away. She gives me a reassuring glance over her shoulder, telling me to relax before she escapes from my sight.

"{Y/N}," Tom says, causing me to look back at him. "I know that-- That you think it's all real." I furrow my eyebrows and nod for him to continue. "But... It's not. You need to get over him. Give other people a chance." He pauses, his eyes flickering down to my lips. "Give me a chance."

"You know I can't do that," I whisper, resting my forehead on his.

"But you can," he insists. "For one, he's gone. And if he weren't, it's not like he would ever find out."

"Tom, I--"

"Please, {Y/N}..." he begs. I close my eyes and sigh.

"He's waiting for me, Tom," I say. "And I can't do that to him... The guilt would kill me."

"{Y/N}--"

"I love you," I interrupt. "I do. Over these past few weeks, I've gotten to know you better and I've fallen in love with you."

"Then why can't we be together?" he asks, taking my hands in his.

"Because I loved him first," I state in a kind of finality tone. 

"Okay... Okay, fine," he says reluctantly. "I won't bring it up again."

"Thank you," I smile, releasing his hands and pulling him into a hug. "Bring it up again after my birthday... My thoughts could change."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

[Sorry this day is so long. Only one more chapter on this day to go, I promise.]