The Second Wish (PT. 1)

I sit up, once again soaked with sweat, clenching the sheets as tears roll downs my face. As if in a cliché movie, thunder rumbles, as rain pounds against the windows. I try to calm my breathing but to no avail. I can practically hear my heart beating.

Beside me, Pip stirs and nuzzles in my side. I look over check the time. Five in the morning. Perfect. I wipe my eyes with my hand, but the metallic smell of blood fills the air. When I glance at my hand, I'm surprised to see it covered in the scarlet liquid.

I must have clenched my fists harder than I thought because not only was my hand tainted, but the once clean lavender comforter is too.

Once I stand up, the wood floor creaks under my feet. I walk to the bathroom, wash the cuts on my hands, and wrap them up. I look like I'm about to get in a fight, but I technically am so it doesn't matter. 

A knock on the door makes me jump and quickly turn around, only to be faced by Jami with a leaning on the door frame. The nightmare flashes in my mind, causing me to tear up and hide my face. 

"What's wrong?" she asks, her voice sounding groggy. I don't respond. Instead, I try to push past her and get back to my room. But she grabs my arm, keeping me put. 

I stare at the ground, which has suddenly become extremely interesting.

"Was it another nightmare?" she asks quietly. I nod my head but say nothing. "What was it about?"

I hesitate before deciding it would be best to tell her.

"You," I reply, hoarse from the crying. "And Peter. I-- You were about to fall to your death, but Peter, he was bleeding out. And then I--" A sob breaks through my words and I cover my mouth. I take a deep breath before continuing. "I-I had to choose. But I couldn't, I-- And then-- But he-- You both died, but I could've saved one of you. And I was just too slow. I--"

Jami wraps her arms around me, pulling me closer to her. "It's okay."

"I'm so sorry," I mumble into her shoulder. 

"Why are you sorry?" She asks.

"Because I just let you die," I reply, pulling away to look at her. "It's all my fault. If I had just--"

"It was just a silly dream, okay? It wasn't real," she replies. 

"You don't understand," I groan. "What if when we go back, I have to choose? I can't go through that again. I... Once one of you is gone, I don't know how I could look at the other. When I'd look at them, the only thing I would see is the one I didn't save."

"You won't have to choose," she states. "Pinky promise." I link my pinky with hers and sigh.

"You have the cupcake, right?" I ask, wanting to change the subject. She nods before looking at my bandaged hands. "Oh... The dream last night was... Too real." Jami sends me a sympathetic glance and smiles.

"Get dressed in something you can fight in," she says as she walks out of the room. 

"Watch out, Thanos," I mumble. "It's about to go down."