15

Fifteen days until my birthday...

Jami was extremely confused when I told her about Peter. She thought I was talking about God or whatever. When she finally understood what I was saying, she told me I was probably just sleep deprived. 

After that, I just decided that it isn't worth all the trouble to convince her. She might understand once we go back.

But today, I'm learning to do the one thing I wanted to do most. Surf.

Jami and I are currently walking over to the rental board stand thing. We both get one of the softer longboards since it is our first time out. Our boards each have the leash thing like in the movies.

I'm wearing a black and {F/C} wetsuit while Jami's wearing a grey and yellow one. We both have our hair pulled back in high ponytails.

The strap from the leash is wrapped around our ankles as we run into the cold water.

"Holy shit!" Jami shouts, running out of the water. "That is so cold!"

"Pussy," I chuckle. "Hurry up, I want to die with you." 

"But the water--"

"Is not going to give you frostbite," I finish. "C'mon!" I turn and start running out into the deeper waters. Jami soon catches up and glares at me. We both sit on our boards, waiting for a wave that seems worthy. 

We pick a spot and begin to paddle toward it. On cue, a large wave forms a couple yards in front of us. We turn our boards around and take a deep breath. I paddle, moving away from the wave to try and catch it. I feel the tip of the wave touch my toes, so I push myself up and stand. 

As we both ride the wave, the ocean breeze swirls around us. The water flies all around us, sparkling in the light. The wave slows and we end up colliding with the water, our bodies coming out soaked. 

My head pops out above the water and I take a few deep breaths of air. I laugh and grab the floating board next to me. 

"That was amazing!" I shout as Jami's head also arises. 

"You did great," Peter's voice says. 

"Thanks," I chuckle. 

"What?" Jami asks, panting.

"You didn't tell her?" he asks. 

"No, I did," I reply, pulling myself back up onto the board. "But she didn't believe me."

"That's too bad," he sighs. "Well, tell-- said-- hi!"

His voice disappears once again. I frown and start to paddle to shore. Jami sets herself up on her board again before following me. 

"What was that all about?" she asks once she catches up with me. 

"Peter says hi," I ignore her question. 

"Um... Okay," she mumbles. 

"I'm gonna get some water. You keep going," I sigh. 

"You sure?" she asks as she stops paddling alongside me. 

"Positive," I assure as I continue to paddle. 

The day continues to go on. We keep surfing until the sun is halfway below the horizon. It seems like instinct for me, while Jami falls every other time. 

My skin tans while I sit on the shore now, taking in the sunset and the fresh ocean scent. I wish Peter were with me now. This is ten times better than New York. 

"Whatcha thinking about?" Jami asks as she plops down beside me.

"Peter," I answer dreamily. 

"Oh..." she sighs. 

"I miss him," I whisper. She stares up at the orange sky. 

"Me too, man," she replies. "Me too."