The Nightmare Before My Birthday

I rub my head wearily, running my fingers through the soft locks of hair. 

'Ugh,' I groan. 'How long was I out?'

As I look around my eyes widen. I'm in Queens again, but not my world's Queens because I can see the Avengers Tower just overhead. 

'Did I just automatically transport here once it hit midnight?' I ask myself. 

I push the thought aside and stand up. Everything is dead silent, not a person to be seen. Jami isn't here either and I can't seem to find any Avengers fighting Thanos or whatever. Something is off, I can feel it.

I lightly bite my lip as I look for a sign of life.

"Jami?" I cautiously ask the silence.

A familiar voice perks up from behind me.

"{Y/N}!"

I spin around, expecting her to be on the road, just as confused as I am. But my eyes widen when I see her a couple of roofs away... 

Hanging to the edge for dear life as her legs swing off of the side. 

Panic quickly takes over my body.

"{Y/N}, please! Help!" she pleads. I take off running in her direction. I have to save her!

"Don't worry, Jami! I--"

"{Y/N}!"

Nearby, another recognizable voice calls out to me. I stop and look over, a gasp escaping my lips when I see Peter. 

Peter is fighting one-on-one with Thanos... And he isn't winning. Even from here, I can see the injuries on his body.

"{Y/N}, please!" Jami shrieks. 

I frantically look back at my best friend. She's now down to one hand, gripping the edge of the building as she tries not to fall. I run to go help her when an awful noise comes from Peter behind me. I swing my head back and look at the horrible sight.

Peter, on his knees, as a large sword impales his stomach, blood pouring through the wound. 

"Peter!" I scream in horror. 

Thanos lets out an evil cackle before disappearing altogether, but I couldn't care less. Abandoning Jami, I sprint toward his crumpled body faster than I have ever run before.

"{Y/N}, pl-please! I can't hold on much longer!" Jami calls out again.

I turn my head back to her direction and she meets me with a pleading gaze.

"{Y-{Y/N}..." Peter groans behind me.

I look back at his bleeding body as he reaches out a trembling hand for me.

My breath shakes as I realize what's happening. I'm completely torn. There's no way in hell I could choose between the two.

If I go to save Peter, Jami will fall and I'll lose my best friend. But if I save Jami, Peter won't last long without me helping with the wound.

I look back and forth between the two of them, panic rising within every part of me.

'What do I do?!'

"{Y/N}!" Jami cries.

"{Y/N}, please..." Peter groans.

"{Y/N}, help! I'll fall if you don't save me!"

"Pl-Please... I won't live much longer..."

"{Y/N}!" They both shout.

I want to cover my ears and scream. Why is one decision so hard? If I save one, I'll live my whole life with guilt for the other.

Save Peter and watch my best friend fall to her death?

Or save Jami and watch the love of my life bleed out in front of me?

Jami or Peter?

Peter or Jami?

I just want to panic and scream. Why can't I choose?

However, my frantic debating left me too late to make a choice. I hear a bloodcurdling scream and I whip around and watch in horror as Jami's grip breaks free. She falls down until I hear the terrible sound of her body smashing against the concrete below.

"J-Jami..." I shudder.

I turn to Peter. His body is laying there now, quiet and very, very still. A feeling of dread hits me like a punch to the gut. I make my way over to him. I have to put a hand over my mouth to keep myself from throwing up when I get there, realizing I'm too late.

Peter's body lay cold and dead, surrounded by a pool of his own blood. I shudder unbearably as heavy tears begin to fall. I fall to my knees beside him and cry. I cry because I couldn't save them.

Either of them.

Jami is dead and Peter is gone.

Why?

Why can't this just be another stupid nightmare?

I shake my head anxiously as I let a long since held back scream tear out of my throat.

If only I had been fast enough...