17

Seventeen days until my birthday...

I sit up, drenched in sweat. My sheets are crumpled in my closed fists, my comforter kicked off when I was asleep. Another nightmare, another day. The sun shines through my glass doors to the balcony.

Slowly, I sit up and rub my eyes, trying to erase the nightmare from my memory. I walk out to my balcony and take in the view.

The early morning breeze tickles my face and the scent blesses my nose. The sunrise is always the best part of my day. I look to my left and see something brown in the distance. It's running across the beach, the mane flowing in the wind.

"Ferb..." I whisper, I smile tugging at the edge of my lips. "I know what we're gonna do today."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jami and I pull up to the beautiful ranch and step out of the car. The smell of hay hits me harder than I expected and I stumble back.

"Smells great, right?" a voice behind us asks. We turn around and look at the person.

It's a woman with short blond hair and pale blue eyes. She's wearing a blue T-Shirt and long boot-cut jeans.

"Yeah," I chuckle. She smiles and walks over to us.

"So what brings you hot-shot movie stars to this old ranch?" she asks.

"I've always wanted to ride a horse," I answer. "I'm starting to check things off my bucket list. This is today's goal."

"I see," she smiles. "The two best are Star and Key. Go ahead, this one is on the house." 

"Thank you so much," Jami chirps, linking our arms and dragging me away as I try to protest. 

She drags me to the stables and pushes me into the wall of one of the pens. I rub the back of my head and pout. 

"Don't give me that," she rolls her eyes. "Get Star ready, I'll take Key." 

I stick out my tongue but walk over to the horse anyway. 

~Timel Skippel~

Jami and I sit on the backs of the two magnificent creatures. 

"You ready?" Jami asks. I smile and nod. 

Star begins to slowly walk before picking up the pace. She eventually gets into a canter as we run across a large grass area. The wind swirls my hair around, the sun shining above us. Jami is about twenty yards away, looking at the plains in awe. 

I chuckle and bring Star to a walk as we near the top of a hill. The ocean glimmers, almost blinding me as we sit atop the plain. A smile tugs at the corners of my mouth as I sigh.

"It's beautiful," Peter's voice says. "Better than New York, that's for sure."

My eyes widen and I look around. My breathing becomes uneven as my heart rate picks up. I can't find him anywhere and I shake my head. I'm going crazy.

"No, you're not," his voice resonates through my mind.

"Peter?" I whisper, pricking at the corners of my eyes.

"Stop! Please don't cry!" he shouts. "No more tears, please."

"B-But, you... And then... I... What?" I stumble over my words and looks around cluelessly. 

"You've cried enough, don't you think?" he chuckles. 

"Where are you?" I ask.

"I'm waiting..." he answers. "I'm surprised I was-- talk-- you."

"What?" I whimper. 

"No-- time--- save-- please-- love--" his voice cuts out like a phone, leaving my mind empty.

"Peter?" I ask, my voice small. 

Jami comes up next to me and furrows her brows.

"You good, bro?" she asks, studying my features. I smile, the tears finally spilling over and I laugh, shaking my head. I throw my hands in the air and let the wind wipe my tears away. 

"What is it?" she tilts her head to the side. I shift my gaze to her once again.

"I heard him," I smile.